• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

XX 24K values plunge

saulsaul

I am Jim Jannard...
Tokyo
Jimmy Savile XX 24K, 2001

Capture4.JPG

Last edited:
Hahaha just waiting for XX to get back down to Juliet prices again.
They are, buddy. There are XX full sets for 350-400 on the Exchange. XMetal values in general are nose-diving. Not enough new collectors..
But I've always been suspicious of the XX 24K. Hopefully this thread will kill it completely.
(Ironically though, just before I watched the new Savile doc, I was coming round to wearing my pair...! Oh **** it, I still will!)

I've had at least six (6) XX 24K's over the last few years, nothing wrong with any of them, somehow they didn't make the cut for me personally. I honestly think that has been my least favorite X-Metal colorway, certainly an acquired taste. I managed to sell/trade/part_out all of them for at least what I had in them. I consider myself to be very fortunate for that.

Aside from the expected 'low tide' in selling - *it happens* - I honestly think the Madman and Badman hurt the X-Metal valuation legacy. I think it was a huge flop that is having a ripple effect beyond the marketing hype/spike. There was a considerable jump in prices just prior to and up to their release, then a steady decline every since. I do not believe that to be a coincidence. For every new X-Metal fan it brought in there were likely 2 or 3 potential X-Metal-Heads turned off, and some interested who then looked elsewhere... I am not blaming the new models, just pointing out some facts and sales trends associated with their release in a confluence of events that included an already expected dip in prices. The result was/is a multiplier, if not exponential. Of course those comments have a lot of legs, but at a high level I believe its germane to the current X-Metal market sales environment, and not so much the value. I believe they are just as valuable as they were a year or three ago, if not more, but there are fewer folks collecting and we all seem to be exchanging each others money - we cannot all make a profit here, prices must go down. Without new collectors and fresh funds we're just laundering each others money really...

I love my collection enough that I only sell what I must to maintain full cabs and not have to explain much, if anything to the Mrs. ;) - I only sell what I must as I know that most of what I sell right now I will likely take a loss. I hope that the Buyers will and do appreciate that, and I respectfully remind them of that often during sales, even if they disagree - its important to pass on valuation opinions in a sale, critical even in some cases. There are some grails that have held their value, but that is certainly becoming the exception not the rule.

All we can do is keep spreading the good word, hoping that folks continue to learn about and appreciate these. I spoke with one of those folks today for over an hour, and another just a few days ago at length. That is two recruit/orientation conversations for me this week, I feel good about that. If the money is not there at least the knowledge will be. Without the knowledge the X-Metal flame is sure to burn out.

I've had at least six (6) XX 24K's over the last few years, nothing wrong with any of them, somehow they didn't make the cut for me personally. I honestly think that has been my least favorite X-Metal colorway, certainly an acquired taste. I managed to sell/trade/part_out all of them for at least what I had in them. I consider myself to be very fortunate for that.

Aside from the expected 'low tide' in selling - *it happens* - I honestly think the Madman and Badman hurt the X-Metal valuation legacy. I think it was a huge flop that is having a ripple effect beyond the marketing hype/spike. There was a considerable jump in prices just prior to and up to their release, then a steady decline every since. I do not believe that to be a coincidence. For every new X-Metal fan it brought in there were likely 2 or 3 potential X-Metal-Heads turned off, and some interested who then looked elsewhere... I am not blaming the new models, just pointing out some facts and sales trends associated with their release in a confluence of events that included an already expected dip in prices. The result was/is a multiplier, if not exponential. Of course those comments have a lot of legs, but at a high level I believe its germane to the current X-Metal market sales environment, and not so much the value. I believe they are just as valuable as they were a year or three ago, if not more, but there are fewer folks collecting and we all seem to be exchanging each others money - we cannot all make a profit here, prices must go down. Without new collectors and fresh funds we're just laundering each others money really...

I love my collection enough that I only sell what I must to maintain full cabs and not have to explain much, if anything to the Mrs. ;) - I only sell what I must as I know that most of what I sell right now I will likely take a loss. I hope that the Buyers will and do appreciate that, and I respectfully remind them of that often during sales, even if they disagree - its important to pass on valuation opinions in a sale, critical even in some cases. There are some grails that have held their value, but that is certainly becoming the exception not the rule.

All we can do is keep spreading the good word, hoping that folks continue to learn about and appreciate these. I spoke with one of those folks today for over an hour, and another just a few days ago at length. That is two recruit/orientation conversations for me this week, I feel good about that. If the money is not there at least the knowledge will be. Without the knowledge the X-Metal flame is sure to burn out.

Word.

Serious response to a very flippant thread.

But honestly, who is going to read my OP and then wear XX 24k without thinking of a bare-chested, bare-legged Savile in his 70s?!

For those outside the UK, don't google Jimmy Savile, just enjoy your XX 24K in ignorant bliss.