• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

American/U.S. Flag Edition Fuel Cell

Uluahunter

I should Work at Oakley
Hawaii
Aloha gang! I was browsing eBay as usual and came across an auction for Fuel Cell - American/U.S. Flag Edition. The seller stated that these were only available to military personnel, is this true? I know that these could be ordered OCP, technically the same set up with the American flag icons. The auction also has a photo of the supposed item with the box (brown) and a SI microclear bag. Seller states the value was up to $300...idk about that. Does anyone know if these editions were special or limited in any way? I don't remember seeing these in my local O stores.

Yep. I own a pair of the SI Gascan Desert. They are only available on the Standard Issue section of the Oakley website for military personnel to order, however, someone recently posted saying they saw them in either their local O store or Vault for sale!

I purchased mine from eBay. Payed $120 which included international postage. So don't go letting them trick you into thinking they're more expensive than regular ones.

Thanks monster_beetle! I've seen this site before, and I understand that you need to qualify for this program in order to purchase from there. I'm just wondering about the auction because the seller claims that his Fuel Cells are valued up to $300...why would anyone pay anything close to that unless they're collectible in some form or fashion (like special etching on the lens or ID tag on the frame). I know it's just a selling point for the seller to say that they're only available to "military personnel" and to also raise the "value", but the same type glasses could be had through OCP. A good thing is that the starting price is decent...if it stays in that range.

Thanks Mickle! Yeah, I wouldn't pay anything past what I could get them for through OCP ($120). Just curious about the seller's claims.

The price through the USSI program is likely well under $100 for these as well. If the seller is getting SI pairs of glasses and reselling them for profit he's breaking both clauses in the Oakley terms of service and should be reported. Though it's unlikely they can find out who he is and what account he ordered through.

It's a shame people do that. They create shortages in the system and it causes personnel who actually qualify for the program from getting glasses they'll actually use in service to our country.

Military and retirees, government, fire/EMS, and law enforcement qualify.

Once accepted, you the Buyer shall not sell Oakley product to any individual, department, team or unit for a profit. At no time should Oakley products be sold or diverted for resale in any environment whatsoever-including but not limited to Internet, swap meets or flea markets etc

Damn, I kinda feel like an ass now. I traded 2 pairs of frogs for 3 sets of Oakleys. One being an SI Fuel Cell, which I then listed on the exchange section a short while later as I was lookin for quick cash for a Vegas trip. Had I known I was lookin like an a-hole, I wouldn't have listed the Fuel Cells.

@ Rustpot - I read that in the terms of service too. That's what made me question the sale. I don't know what the actual cost is to the members of the program, but in the end, the glasses sold for $81 + shipping. So hopefully the seller didn't make a profit. I totally agree with you on reporting scalpers, they mess everything up for everyone else.

@ tmac - I don't think that could be held against you because you didn't know. Not too many people would know about that particular program unless they are/were qualified to join. I think you're all good.