• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anodizing X-Metals by XMC optics

I'm going to be filling out the form this weekend. Oh wait you mean send you my pair and yours will come to me....haha.

mayn ni wonder i havent seen you in a while! you were busssy!

Ok so here are some pics of my Gold Anodized Juliet frame. This started out as a later gen "shiny" Plasma finish Juliet frame. In different sunlight, the Gold finish appears to have a bit of translucency at different angles of natural light that reveals the subtle silvery tint of the original finish. I will post pics depicting this later on after I've had a chance to take them on a bright sunny day.

Here are the pics indoors under indoor lighting:

Gold1.jpg

Gold2.jpg

Gold3.jpg

Gold8.jpg

Gold9.jpg

Gold10.jpg

Gold4.jpg

And now OUTDOORS with natural light from overcast skies:

Gold5.jpg

Gold6.jpg

Gold7.jpg

Apparently value is in the eye of the beholder. Ive said before I'm not a Juliet/X Metal guy. I take it it doesn't hurt or help value messing with the finish?

Apparently value is in the eye of the beholder. Ive said before I'm not a Juliet/X Metal guy. I take it it doesn't hurt or help value messing with the finish?

Pristine pairs complete with matching box/coin/paperwork are the ones with real value to serious collectors. Refinishing one of those is a waste, actually detracts value.

For unboxed pairs, though, it doesn't hurt their value. But it doesn't really add value either; i.e. you buy a pair for $350, spend $150 customizing it, and you can probably sell it for... $350.

But a beater / damaged pair brought back to life with a refinish can restore value, i.e. buy a beat up one for $200, spend $150 customizing / refreshing it, then would be worth $350 again.

Same is true for merely restoring a pair, though - if all you did was replace rubbers / lenses / tuneup to get it back to factory condition, you need to make sure your initial investment in the frames was low enough that, once you add the cost of restoration in, your total investment isn't more than what a good example of that frame would be to begin with.

But customizing / refinishing isn't really about adding value. It's to have something more unique, more variety, standing out. Sometimes others will covet them, other times they'll only be special to you.

Latest Posts

Back