• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Any Sneakerheads In The House?

Latest 2..nike SB dunk Raygun and custom Big Rabbit Air Max 95

20200110_142625.jpg

20200110_142811.jpg

20200110_142821.jpg

Zoom Kobe V Protro "Chaos" (2K Alternate)

This silhouette is up there (but not above) with the Kobe 4 for me. I forked resale because f*** buying and putting in the crammed time for NBA 2K20. In essence the 5 retained much of the 4 with careful tweaks to get lighter, lower, and fit closer, and adding a forefoot Zoom unit. I think the only time I've seen sequels act in that nature lately has been the LeBron line, but even that has experienced a few non-linear changes.

The Protro version ditches the heel Zoom unit and replaces the front unit with the Zoom Turbo from the Kyrie 6. Can't really speak on how that is panning out since this just got to my door. On the Kyrie 6 it takes some work to feel, and imo it's just something that works with you, vs. actually gets felt. Anyway, it presumably poises the Kobe 5 Protro to be a more forefoot-focused option over the Kobe 4 Protro.

Both the 4 and the 5 seem to hold their place as NBA favorites. A lot of people seem to hold onto their 5's until they're truly run to the ground, and the regular Chaos release this year went like hot cakes.

It's a little crazy that after 10 years, lows and performance shoes in general are inconsistent in execution. Like last year's Kyrie Low 2 : as good as I find that to look, it's just questionable in how the cushion isn't as effective and the fit isn't comparably universal/locked-in. More recent Kobe's have been decent, but take excessively different approaches. I get that products need to be distinguished from one another, but no need to screw up a good blueprint.

n0ltlE2.jpg

Sooo....I got back from the mall and apparently one store got late stock. Like I got my ass kicked with the original release last Friday. Of course work comes first. Couldn't touch my phone at the moment too to attempt online. Searched hard last weekend and called around hoping there was leftovers or returns. I mean I was stubborn on the fact that had this been a weekend release like some Kobe's (or if they released on 12/26 like most outlets expected), I would've had them and not bat an eye at resale.

And I sorta was giving up on them, maybe entertaining StockX if prices leveled out a bit more. Like with my 2K Alternate pair I knew the world didn't end. I was in stores/mall today looking for other stuff. Totally didn't see it coming.

Now my sentimental attachment to these has been for 10 years since the original release.. Again, not quite ahead of the Kobe 4 as my favoritest pairs, but of the Kobe 5's this was one I wanted, seeing Kobe pop these out on Christmas Day as the successor to the Kobe 4. Just remember window shopping it and not having the means to get it — which is also sorta why I was pressed to land it at retail. I could've chased the OG at resale for the past few years now, but essentially I wanted that "re-do".

But yeah, not losing sight that they're just shoes.

7tQFrD0.jpg

Latest Posts

Back