• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Anyone With Experience With The Asian Fit Lend Me An Ear Please

hstexan

Oakley Beginner
MS
I'm looking at picking up a pair of Flak Jacket's and am not sure which direction to go. Back when I bought my Half Jacket's I had really wanted matte black glasses (which were not offered then AFAIK). They didn't have them so I settled on the dark grey because the shiny black wasn't too appealing. Now I see that I can actually buy the USSI Flak Jacket's with a matte black frame and grey polarized lenses.

Oakley US Standard Issue Polarized Flak Jacket | Official Oakley Store

However, I've also started to look into Asian fit glasses because I prefer my glasses higher up on my nose. I usually end up having to push them back slightly and when I do I end up having my cheeks pushing on my lenses when if I squint or smile. Unfortunately they don't make the Asian fit in a matte black frame, nor could I do it through the custom program. Basically I'd have to get the same exact color scheme as my Half Jacket's.

Oakley Polarized Flak Jacket (Asian Fit) | Official Oakley Store

I went to the only Sunglass Hut around and they didn't carry any Asian fit and the closest Oakley store is probably about 3-4 hours away. If you feel like you were on the edge where you thought they might be beneficial and went ahead and got them, did it make a huge difference for you? Basically is the fit comfortable enough that you would get past them being a color you don't really want. The regular Flak's don't feel terrible, but I can't help imagine how great the Asian fit's might be.

AFAIK, the only difference between regular Flaks and AF Flaks are the nose bombs...

Get the USSI Flak's ... pop by your local O Dealer or call up HQ (warranty dept) and grab some of the larger nose bombs!

Or

When you get your privileges, make a WTB thread and you shouldn't have a too much of a hard time finding em

For a while I used my Radarlock and Jawbone's without Asian fit pads. They felt great until like you said, squinting and smiling. It does make the difference. I couldn't really even achieve the level of fit with other brands with adjustable nose pieces. I would straight up call it the only way I can wear sunglasses.

Like said above, if nose pads/bombs are available separately, then there's an option to try.

Well dang, for some reason I thought the AF Flak's had a slightly different shape that made the lens portion of the glasses flatter so they didn't curve around the front of your face as much.

Side note, is there a huge difference between the black iridium polarized that I'm used to and the grey polarized that would be on the USSI Flak's?

There is a difference between the Asian fits Flaks and the regular one - I use the normal fit with the larger "Asian Fit" nose bombs, but my brother, who has a wider face, can only wear the Asian fit. The Asian fit will be noticeably wider, similar to the difference between Gascans and Asian Fit Gascans. Even the lenses are a slightly different curvature - pretty sure you can fit either lens into each other if you force them, but you can see they are slightly off.

There is a difference between the Asian fits Flaks and the regular one - I use the normal fit with the larger "Asian Fit" nose bombs, but my brother, who has a wider face, can only wear the Asian fit. The Asian fit will be noticeably wider, similar to the difference between Gascans and Asian Fit Gascans. Even the lenses are a slightly different curvature - pretty sure you can fit either lens into each other if you force them, but you can see they are slightly off.

Oakley has sworn up and down to me that this wasn't the case... Same idea with Jawbones/Split Jackets/Racing Jackets... It's only the nose piece

There is a difference in the lense shape for the Fives and Gascans. It's in the geometry of the frame, so the lenses are a different shape also...

i agree with Lex, Oakley has said to me over and over that the AF jawbone, flak , fast, half jacket are only based on the nose pads.
The AF radar is said to be different as it fits a wider head ... e.g non-AF will fit tighter.
Frames such as pitbull and other "active wear" have a different shape and the differences are other than just nose pads.

i also struggle with this as i have a flat nose bridge, so i need bigger nose pads.

yeah with sport frames I'd agree its almost certain it's just the nose bombs. Those models were designed with frequent lens swapping in mind so adding more assembly lines for lenses to fit different versions of each frame wouldn't be smart.

Also, sport frames are designed to deflect around the face, especially with the switchlock models that l have wider tolerances in the lens slots. Notice how frames such as the Radar/Radarlock have really small spacing at the end of the tips.

Frames such as pitbull and other "active wear" have a different shape and the differences are other than just nose pads.

The only difference with AF Pitbull is a different nose bomb. The frame shape and curvature is the same. I own both AF and 'regular' Pitbulls. When I got my AFs all I had to do was call Oakley for new nose bombs.

Flaks as has been said its just the nose bombs.

AF Radars are much wider than 'regular' fit at the end of the ear stems. The difference is about 2cm/1 inch.

Neil

Back