• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Best Lenses For Certain Light Conditions

Benny-Beechwood

Oakley Beginner
Is there an official list or consensus on which Radarlock lenses are best in different light conditions. For example - is fire iridium better on bright sunny days? Or is Jade best for cloudy days? School me.

Thanks,
Benny

a somewhat useful tool:
http://www.oakley.com/innovation/optical-superiority/lens-tints

but even that doesn't give the best impression like said above. Best you can take from there is note which lenses come with the desired LT% and base, and decide from there. I personally couldn't figure out how Jade could work out (from description and trying in store) until I dropped the coin for it and used it in the real world. Ended up being my fav lens right now.

That being said, it's a hit-or-miss procedure unless you can borrow a lens. In older love/hate lens thread, Violet and Fire were often mentioned on the negative side - so perhaps be cautious when considering those two.

I agree, it is nuanced. I might add that even the "same" lenses can behave differently depending on the frame they are in. Best solution is to try the lense you want in the frame you want, if at all possible.

I general I prefer lenses with a contrast base tint in lower light conditions and a neutral base tint in brighter light conditions, then consider the light transmission %.

I think contrast tints with a lower transmission % are the most versatile. VR28 BIP is great.

I have been wearing my Jawbones with Fire Irid Pol on the water and on bright sunny days and they're fantastic, better than any Black Iridium or grey that I have. Jawbones have great coverage too so that helps, but FIP is great.

I find that VR28 BIP is my favorite, overall, lens. 00 BIP isn't bad either. Unfortunately, these two tints aren't available for all the frames out there. Of The more "common" tints, I like Ruby and Jade. Ice is nice and you really can't go wrong with Black Iridium Polarized or Emerald Iridium Polarized.

I, too, prefer a contrast based lens. Titanium Ird and Chrome Ird fall into that category as well but, I like the VR28 BIP & 00 BIP best in the contrast lenses.

FWIW, Violet Iridium & Fire Ird don't bother me at all but, they aren't my first choices.

The only lens tints that don't work for me, out of the lenses I've tried, are Grey, Dark Grey, Warm Grey, 00 Red Ird, G30, & G30 BI. I don't like lenses that allow other people to see my eyes.

As mentioned earlier, this is all highly subjective and you may feel differently when you are looking through the myriad of tints available from Oakley.

Yeah, I've heard some people complain about the look through Fire. I don't agree, from a personal preference. For years my only two lenses were BIP for neutral and FIP for contrast. I think FIP is great; it's just that now I prefer VR28 BIP for that role.

And yes, though Violet looks awesome, it's not my favorite tint to look through; I prefer FIP over it.

Back