• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Bourbon

OK, got some questions again.

As some of you know I received a bottle of 1990 Blantons a few weeks back. The wax seal was gone and I can only assume that it was sampled and recorked. A couple weeks ago i pulled it out of the cabinet to try it. The cork was partially disintegrated as the horse popped off, leaving a dry, somewhat loose cork in the bottle. I removed the cork and poured a taste. I didnt care for it.

I ended up gifting what was left to someone I know that drinks bourbon from time to time and would appreciate it. A couple day later he tried it and replied that it was "rough"

So this leads me to my question. If the cork was dry and somewhat loose is there a possibility of evaporation and/or exposure to air that would change the bourbon over 30 years?
Sometimes leaving the bottle open for a couple of hours, or letting a pour air out in your glass for a while before drinking, helps get rid of the funk. I had a supposedly bad bottle of 10 year old chessman old crow from 1959 (bad cork, stored badly) turn into one of the best bourbons I’ve ever had after leaving the glass on the table overnight. I left the top off the bottle for a day and now it’s everyone’s favorite.

Wax doesn’t matter, there’s been a lot of fake booze going around, and some of them are waxed or capsule sealed like new. Sourcing from stores used to be very safe, but some stores started buying rare bottles from private sellers, so that screwed everything up. If your friend is really knowledgeable and had the bottle a long time, it’s likely legit.

I’ve read you shouldn’t leave a whisky bottle sideways to keep the cork wet, because the high alcohol will eat the glue that holds the cork to the top a little over time and that will affect the seal and flavor. What I do, if the bottles are old, is flip them sideways for a few minutes before opening to wet the cork. In some cases, a really old cork is gonna break no matter what you do.

If the cork breaks into pieces and falls into the bottle, I slowly run the whisky through a fine strainer or cheesecloth. Then I put it back in the original bottle and replace the cork. I have a box full of corks from different sized bottles so I can try sizes until I find a perfect one. In the past I’ve also tagged the bottler or distillery on Instagram with a pic of the broken cork and they’ve sent me new ones.

Horst Leuning has some really good videos on opening and filtering bottles with bad corks. He’s a liquor store manager, mechanical engineer and has a masters in aerospace tech, so I trust his

Many great batches of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof and Stagg Jr can be found for less than $60 (even in NY) and are my favorite bourbons. I can’t think of a limited edition that has ever wowed me.

Michter’s tasting with Fred Minnick last night. The 20 year bourbon was the winner, and the 10 year bourbon was a close second. Everything else was meh. I don’t typically like the standard Michter’s bottlings,

089E89C2-F9A5-4690-98EB-F25B096CFEE6.jpeg

80D92EC8-0B1D-4074-9209-97D661759BA7.jpeg

Back