• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Buy Oakleys in USA or Canada? Which is cheaper?

As someone who travels am I better off purchasing in USA or Canada?

• Total voters

Bb-mitch

Oakley Beginner
I had a pair of flak for about 5 years. I wore them almost daily. They were the best glasses I have ever owned. Losing them made me very sad. But they were well worn. They had a scratch that might have been lost eye without them. The lenses had started to fall out. I lost then in a wave and my friends daughter found them half afloat an hour later. At the end they were held together by epoxy. They lived hard.

I had hope someone would return them but alas.

And summer is coming.

So I need new ones. I want something similar but I'm hoping for feedback both on frames and lenses. I am considering the custom route to have something really my own. Anyone do this?

I am looking for multi sport as much as possible (they are not a trivial purchase for me). I will likely use them for everything. I have a small prescription (-1.5) and I may wear then driving or walking or climbing or boating or snowboarding.

If they made them with a strap like seaspecs I'd wear them kitesurfing but I don't want to lose these.

I need strong frames. A close fit and wrap to catch sun and lessen the chance the wind or a splash will tear them away.

My old ones were a little loose in the lens from day one but I know I'm hard on things - some of the styles seem like they would be easier to break. I want to avoid those.

And then there is lenses color. Given the range of activities I'm pretty sure I want polarized but not sure if prizm is good for this application.

Any advise appreciated. Snow benefits from contrast enhancement. Water from polarization. And I can't get multiple pairs:-(

Also any advice if I'm better to buy in usd or Canada? Or if there are any sales or coupons that help with something like this? I doubt it but had to ask. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheers.

Flak 2.0 xl with prizm black polar or prizm deep water then get you a sunglass leash

:)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If you like the old Flak 1.0, you could try the Flak 2.0. As for straps, you can buy aftermarket, such as Croakies. I think they even make some that can float your glasses in case they fall off in water. Sport Eyewear Retainers for the Active Lifestyle | Croakies®

Prizm itself isn't polarized. Prizm tech is color correction for sport specific activities. They have Prizim Polarized if you want polarized lenses.

As for Canada or USD.... i don't think it matters. However, since you're travelling internationally, maybe they have something at the Duty Free stores in the airports. At least there you can save on taxes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The more the merrier! Re straps I will give croakies another try. Last pair slipped off but they have some new models that look more secure. Still be nice to see Oakley develop something integrated in the temples like seaspecs. The strap can't be removed and can be snuggled up.

Re usd vs. Canadian often a usd product is sold in Canada much higher than conversion. Sometimes it's the other way. 100usd might convert to 135cdn.. it could be offered on the Canadian site for $125 or 165. It might be in the store for even less. Cross border shoppers or cafes buyers know what I mean. Plus sometimes there are sales. Cheers.

I need strong frames

flak 2.0 are not strong.... i would go with a full frame model, like the jawbone / racing jacket. also eliminates the chance of cutting your face on the lenses during sports, and they also have holes in the ear stems for a strap.

buy my white racing jacket
...............:angel:

Last edited:
Radarlock. Good coverage and slots for the strap

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Oakley has sunglass leashes available now.

Only one integrated would be the split shot and the leash locks inside the frame - inside of stems undo and u lock it in and then close the stems - however it is removable as well

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I own the Split Shot and use the leash system when I have them on the water as I'm not going to get my X Metal XX and XS wet. My first Oakley pair I bought was a Flak XLJ. As far as which country is a better deal/price, that depends. In the US, ordering online from a retailer, you won't pay duties/import taxes. Canada does not have this benefit as far as I know.

Do you have an Oakley Vault near you? Also, as I noted, I own both of those. A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I bought our oldest a pair at the Vault store in NE Georgia. It was the Flak 2.0 XL with Prizm Baseball lenses. (he made the All-star team) Those were ~$90 new at the Vault

While I realize you are looking at buying something new to be your daily pair, my honest advice is don't. Or at least realize the lie that is retail. You can pick up almost any new Oakley pair cheap (and authentic) on eBay, Amazon, etc. Your key words are "authentic" and Mint Like new. The only thing to beware of are AF frames. Historically, called Asian Fit, these are designed with bigger nose pads and a flatter bridge. You can look up most frames SKU eg- OO1234-5678 number on O-review and or Google to be certain Lenses are getting more difficult to find cheap these days, but you are in one of the places I see great deals often. (Ofourm, where art thou)

My Split Shot, I bought like- new used on ebay for $75. It's the Prizm Snow Torch version which is awesome. However, I'd never pay $160 retail for that pair. The quality of the frame does not warrant much more because it simply is not what I would call a "nice" frame. It is functional, but the old school sturdiness of O-matter Oakley frames is long gone from new-school frames I have handled. The leash system kind of sucks, honestly. Bearing that in mind, I also feel compelled to mention I thought Oakley o matter rames were amazing based on my 2 flak XLJ I have owned... .until I owned an X Metal XX. X Metals are a slippery slope, though. ;)

Idk if you have an Oakley Vault near you, but the best thing you can do to ascertain what frame/pair will suit your needs is to visit one.
The Vault stores are my exception to retail bc they usually have sales if you buy a couple of pairs at a time. Even if you aren't buying multiples, they still have decent prices for a brick and mortar store.

Back