• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prescription (RX) Oakley Frogskins Lenses?

Can any Frogskins be RX’d?

• Total voters

OrangeFray

Oakley Beginner
So I've seen this done before and I think I might want to do, I'm just wondering how. If I wanted just clear prescription lenses for frogskins, where and how can I do it? Is there any limits with prescription strength? Cost? Anything else I should know?
Thanks

I have prescription frogs, you're going to want to do it at a authorized Oakley prescription retailer. That means that they don't make the prescription in house they actually send the order down to california for the lenses. Since its a pretty flat frame you can fit a thicker prescription in generally its from -4 to +2. The cost depends on the strength of prescription and if you choose Oakleys True Digital technology. Mine were around 120 for just the lenses and my prescription is -2

Okay thanks for the info. If they're an authorized Oakley dealer, will they have the Frogskins frame in stock? I'm pretty sure my prescription is a lot stronger than that so it might be an issue. I do know that some places have options to make your lenses a lot thinner if you have a strong prescription. Or is that not even the problem?

Probably, but since they are a sunglass frame and not really meant to be an rx frame they might not. I've never heard of that but basically that is the problem, its a little hard to explain but even if you have a stronger prescription you have a better chance to fit them into a frogskin because its a 6 based curve frame.

Hmmm okay. So you're saying even with my stong prescription, frogskins are a possibility? Well this place Oakley Frogskins bringing back the 80\'s. offers prescription lenses and they can pretty much accommodate my prescription. I've seen other places like this too online. Do you think a place like lenscrafters would cut me some custom lenses? Or is something like this the best way to go.

If a px came in asking for his frogskins to be glazed it would be at there own risk but I would see no reason not to. As said the frame is already quite flat but They are quite large so depending on the centres of the patient the blank size maybe a problem.

Oakley rx lenses are already thinned down but they are quite restricted in their range so non standard lenses are also an option depending on the bevel of the frame.

I would never order online just for the reasoning you need a professional to take the measurements and advise you depending on your rx.. Go your local optometrist and they should be able to help you.

@mottles what do you mean by glazed? I'm guessing the centres is just one of the measurements but what do you mean by blank size and that being a problem? Haha I guess I'm having a hard time understanding what you guys are saying, but thanks, I appreciate it.

Glazed is the term used to cut the lenses into a frame. The shape of the lenses is cut from a blank and because it's a big frame the blank needs to be large which could limit the type of lens you have in there.

One thing you may need to consider the larger the frame the larger the edge thickness so bear that in mind too.

Latest Posts

Back