• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Selecting New Progressive Lenses > Oakley Rx vs Varilux

hwb

Oakley Beginner
I've had progressive lenses in my Oakley Servo OX1066-0255 Lens Width: 55mm and Lens Height: 32mm for over ten years. (That's them in my avatar). But they are an older discontinued style.

Now it's time for a new prescription/lenses and I'm trying to figure out my best scenario. Here's that prescription:

Sphere Cylinder Axis Add
OD
+4.25 -0.75 100 +2.50
OS +3.75 -0.75 90 +2.50

I've been to LensCrafters where they'll do what they call out as PG OK OTD II 1.59 Clr SAR Blue which should be Oakley progressive lenses with Oakley Blue Ready, Oakley True Digital™, Plutonite® 1.59 Thin with Anti-Reflective Treatment, Scratch-resistant treatment and UV protection all included. They quoted me $297 w/ my insurance for those lenses in my Oakley frames. I've yet to go to the actual Oakley shop...but since Luxottica owns them both prices should be close, but I'll definitely head to the Oakley store to see and would have them handle the job, all things being equal.

Given that they are discontinued frames, will Oakley still have templates...does it even matter since my old lenses will be intact?

The Dr. I have my prescription from has an"eyeglass arm" in their office that takes my insurance and has Varilux lenses. I haven't dialed in a price yet but essentially I get $200 off via insurance then another 20% off and I'd pay $10 to use my frames.

I'm 65 years old and spend my work days looking at TV monitors for broadcast television or on a laptop. At home, I spend 4+ hours a day on a laptop. So I'm looking for the right lenses for those scenarios.

Is the Oakley setup I described the best way to go or should I consider a Varilux solution and if so what would that be...Varilux X with Eyeprotect System and Crizal Prevencia? Or is there another setup I should consider? And is that even apples to apples?

I am seeking the best value proposition with an ideal setup. Hoping to get some guidance here. Thanks in advance for everyone's input.

Still looking for info...seems like this might help:

@Chris A Hardaway

Hi Chris, Any thoughts?
Hey.
I don't believe you can get the Oakley rx lenses for Servo anymore. So that option is most likely off the table.

My opinion is that your best value for your money would be your local optometrist and go w/ varilux comfort max (should cost less than x series). Polycarbonate aka airwear, essential blue (aka Smart blue filter) and Crizal ez pro AR coating for Oakley true digital quality durability.

X series in my experience is expensive and perhaps even over priced. Comfort max by varilux could save you $50 and have a bigger reading area.

W your local office they can use your old frame I bet. For that$10 extra. Good luck.

Latest Posts

Back