• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Check Out These Juliets

Um.... so after you melt out the rubber ...then what.i would want to inspect the rubber before I destroyed it.there is a right and wrong way to do things.
beancooker.my first several attempts at repairing the nosebridges were just god awfull,they worked...but they weren't pretty .and through trial and error they got to be much better.the main 2 keys were figuring out the rubber situation and making the new stainless steel rivits .0015" larger than stock, and radiused on the front.i had a machine shop cut these on a swiss screw machine.

:imtheking::agree:Hey peeps I am the supreme bozo that completely went REEEEEETARD on these glasses!! As a matter of fact I'm gonna go ahead and post my message that i sent him the day after i did that to em.. No worries on calling me names cuz i have pretty thick skin.. here is my email i sent to mark..

Geezus man that is some really awesome work !!! pretty friggin awesome to see peeps who UNDERSTAND what its like to be an Oakley owner.. !! anyway my juliets were doing the nose bridge wobble loose thing and yesterday the rivet popped out of one side while i was putting them on and one half of the glasses fell and and as luck would have it they landed smack on the lens and gave my one of 8 month old lenses (12 yr old frames) their first scratch.. needless to say i freaked out and luckily i found the rivet.. i kinda wish i hadnt found it in a way.. i couldnt see anything inside where the rivet was and i was trying to figure out what the heck all the black gooey **** was that would not stop coming out of the little slot.. i actually thought it was some kind of grease or something.. so once i thought i had most of it out i tried to think of a way to get the rivet to go back in and stay in.. super glue was my first idea and i nixxed that almost immedieately .. epoxy.. ? hmm.. not a whole lot of room to actually get any on the little piece i needed it on... ahhhhhhhh then i thought i had a brilliant idea.. i decided to solder it!!!! so i got out my soldering **** and took out the lenses so that i wouldnt **** em up.. needless to say that was a complete nightmare and luckily i didnt ruin anything but... i was getting pissed at the little bit of solder that i couldnt get off the nosepiece so i got a little torch out and proceeded to heat up the little bits of solder and all of a sudden all this black **** comes ooozing out of both sides of the nose bridge and it was then that i realized i just ****ED UP... not that it mattered but i figured out that it was alot more than 10 years of nose grease and dirt up in there.. now they are super loose and wobbly and look like ****.. i really like the idea of the silicone rubber for the grommets.. geezes they must be microscopic to fit in there but thats why oakleys ****ing kick so much ass.. they are so much more than just a pair of sunglasses.. anyway how much do you charge for just a basic tuneup for them? i actually live pretty close to the Oakley Factory HQ here in Cali.. bout a 45 minute drive.. but that doesn't mean i want to spend 80 bucks for the tune up and 30 for the gas.. i have a 6 month old and have been out of work for a year so **** is really tough right now... anyway props to you for putting the smack down ..

my name is chris
thanks

I have been wearing oakleys since the beginning.. motocross and bike grips were my first experience with oakleys and i was hooked.. when i set one foot in the door of the Oakley HQ, I felt like a religious person who just stepped thru the gates of heaven...

The juliets you see are the OG for sure.. i have no clue how many pairs of oakleys i have gone through.. i had a buddy who used to get em for me at factory cost + 10% for any pairs i wanted.. so ya i have definitely had a few.. these babies were my true love though.. once i put them on.. all the rest faded into a distant memory.. and yes i have tried quite a few other styles and aside from the pit boss.. which my buddy has.. nothing else comes close in my opinon.. they have served me well.. ill post pics of the original lenses that i replaced just about a year ago.. they finally started wearing out.. some film on the inside of the lenses started coming off.. the iridium was still fairly good shape tho!!

Cheeeeeeze Out

No surprise here folks......amazing Mark.... You are a true X Metal master...... Nice work!

:imtheking::agree:Hey peeps I am the supreme bozo that completely went REEEEEETARD on these glasses!! As a matter of fact I'm gonna go ahead and post my message that i sent him the day after i did that to em.. No worries on calling me names cuz i have pretty thick skin.. here is my email i sent to mark..

Geezus man that is some really awesome work !!! pretty friggin awesome to see peeps who UNDERSTAND what its like to be an Oakley owner.. !! anyway my juliets were doing the nose bridge wobble loose thing and yesterday the rivet popped out of one side while i was putting them on and one half of the glasses fell and and as luck would have it they landed smack on the lens and gave my one of 8 month old lenses (12 yr old frames) their first scratch.. needless to say i freaked out and luckily i found the rivet.. i kinda wish i hadnt found it in a way.. i couldnt see anything inside where the rivet was and i was trying to figure out what the heck all the black gooey **** was that would not stop coming out of the little slot.. i actually thought it was some kind of grease or something.. so once i thought i had most of it out i tried to think of a way to get the rivet to go back in and stay in.. super glue was my first idea and i nixxed that almost immedieately .. epoxy.. ? hmm.. not a whole lot of room to actually get any on the little piece i needed it on... ahhhhhhhh then i thought i had a brilliant idea.. i decided to solder it!!!! so i got out my soldering **** and took out the lenses so that i wouldnt **** em up.. needless to say that was a complete nightmare and luckily i didnt ruin anything but... i was getting pissed at the little bit of solder that i couldnt get off the nosepiece so i got a little torch out and proceeded to heat up the little bits of solder and all of a sudden all this black **** comes ooozing out of both sides of the nose bridge and it was then that i realized i just ****ED UP... not that it mattered but i figured out that it was alot more than 10 years of nose grease and dirt up in there.. now they are super loose and wobbly and look like ****.. i really like the idea of the silicone rubber for the grommets.. geezes they must be microscopic to fit in there but thats why oakleys ****ing kick so much ass.. they are so much more than just a pair of sunglasses.. anyway how much do you charge for just a basic tuneup for them? i actually live pretty close to the corporate store here in Cali.. bout a 45 minute drive.. but that doesn't mean i want to spend 80 bucks for the tune up and 30 for the gas.. i have a 6 month old and have been out of work for a year so **** is really tough right now... anyway props to you for putting the smack down ..

my name is chris

thanks

I have been wearing oakleys since the beginning.. motocross and bike grips were my first experience with oakleys and i was hooked..

The juliets you see are the OG for sure.. i have no clue how many pairs of oakleys i have gone through.. i had a buddy who used to get em for me at factory cost + 10% for any pairs i wanted.. so ya i have definitely had a few.. these babies were my true love though.. once i put them on.. all the rest faded into a distant memory.. and yes i have tried quite a few other styles and aside from the pit boss.. which my buddy has.. nothing else comes close in my opinon.. they have served me well.. ill post pics of the original lenses that i replaced just about a year ago.. they finally started wearing out.. some film on the inside of the lenses started coming off.. the iridium was still fairly good shape tho!!

Cheeeeeeze Out

Well at least it appears you "thought it out", b4 attempting the repair. LOL
Congrats on the "NEW" Julies.

Mark... Awesome work!!

Well at least it appears you "thought it out", b4 attempting the repair. LOL
Congrats on the "NEW" Julies.

Mark... Awesome work!!
+1 on thinking things through :p

That is really impressive with the work on bringing those back to life Mark......and especially having to have custom rivets made? :bigboss:

o.k here are better shots of the finished product,youve seen the before pictures,these frames were shot,lots of handwork to get them straight and smooth again.the flash against the white makes them seem lighter but they are damn close to the original x-metal color.
DSC_0414.jpg
DSC_0415.jpg
DSC_0416.jpg

I will give it to the guy with the torch. That sounds like something I would do. I can hear myself say "**** it, I'll melt that **** out and replace it with silicone caulk".
Remember, the cool stuff I build that I post pics of here, haven't come without their fair share of learning lessons (major mistakes). If you don't try something out of the box, you will never succeed with fresh new ideas.

I painted a helmet once. It was a brand new Arai. It was an amazing paint job. Thick heavy large gold metal flake topped with green candy coat. It would have been a beautiful color on a motorcycle or a lowrider. It was hideous on a helmet. I looked like the green goblin.
I decide to strip the paint. No chemicals because they could compromise the safety of the helmet. So I start sanding. There were almost 20 coats (thin coats) of paint. So after half an hour and I still haven't seen fiberglass, it's time to step t up a notch.
I head to the Home Despot and get a paint stripping wheel for my grinder. (You know, the blue fibrous looking ones made to shave the paint off a navy ship). I attach it and set the grinder to its lowest speed, 11k RMP. I touch down with this wheel of death spinning and it seems to be working okay. Half a second later there is styrofoam beads all over the garage. I'm like "WTF?" I look down and see I cut right through the fiberglass and deep into the protective styrofoam. Brand new $200 helmet with $50 in paint, straight into the trash can.

I'm glad to see that he tried something, even if it didn't work out. I'm also glad to see that they made it your way, and you will repair them.

So THE X-MAN what was your first experience with repairing a pair of flex couplers?

:lolsign::lol::welcome: holy crap i didnt really get a chance to read this thread earlier when i first saw it cuz i had stuff to do but this post is comedy deluxe!!:bump:

Geezus man that is some really awesome work !!! pretty friggin awesome to see peeps who UNDERSTAND what its like to be an Oakley owner.. !! anyway my juliets were doing the nose bridge wobble loose thing and yesterday the rivet popped out of one side while i was putting them on and one half of the glasses fell and and as luck would have it they landed smack on the lens and gave my one of 8 month old lenses (12 yr old frames) their first scratch.. needless to say i freaked out and luckily i found the rivet.. i kinda wish i hadnt found it in a way.. i couldnt see anything inside where the rivet was and i was trying to figure out what the heck all the black gooey **** was that would not stop coming out of the little slot.. i actually thought it was some kind of grease or something.. so once i thought i had most of it out i tried to think of a way to get the rivet to go back in and stay in.. super glue was my first idea and i nixxed that almost immedieately .. epoxy.. ? hmm.. not a whole lot of room to actually get any on the little piece i needed it on... ahhhhhhhh then i thought i had a brilliant idea.. i decided to solder it!!!! so i got out my soldering **** and took out the lenses so that i wouldnt **** em up.. needless to say that was a complete nightmare and luckily i didnt ruin anything but... i was getting pissed at the little bit of solder that i couldnt get off the nosepiece so i got a little torch out and proceeded to heat up the little bits of solder and all of a sudden all this black **** comes ooozing out of both sides of the nose bridge and it was then that i realized i just ****ED UP... not that it mattered but i figured out that it was alot more than 10 years of nose grease and dirt up in there.. now they are super loose and wobbly and look like ****.. i really like the idea of the silicone rubber for the grommets.. geezes they must be microscopic to fit in there but thats why oakleys ****ing kick so much ass.. they are so much more than just a pair of sunglasses.. anyway how much do you charge for just a basic tuneup for them? i actually live pretty close to the Oakley Factory HQ here in Cali.. bout a 45 minute drive.. but that doesn't mean i want to spend 80 bucks for the tune up and 30 for the gas.. i have a 6 month old and have been out of work for a year so **** is really tough right now... anyway props to you for putting the smack down ..

my name is chris
thanks

I have been wearing oakleys since the beginning.. motocross and bike grips were my first experience with oakleys and i was hooked.. when i set one foot in the door of the Oakley HQ, I felt like a religious person who just stepped thru the gates of heaven...

Cheeeeeeze Out

b55a400b-93ac-44d9-9345-db9e87aca9e4.png

Back