• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Cheers from "Down Under"!!

lavielemond

Oakley Beginner
G'day all fellow 'Oakleyers'!

As I'm now 45 y/o, I feel like an old f@rt chatting upon a forum that primarily views my favourite Oakleys from my teen years (the Factory Pilots/Eyeshades & Blades/Razor Blades) as ancient relics that have already been re-released as "30th anniversary Heritage" sunglasses years ago now!!

Anyway, as my username clearly shows, I'm a lifelong Greg Lemond fan & his first TDF in '84 - as the World Champion - coincided with my dear Dad's (RIP) introduction of the Tour de France to my life, although I had already been riding a "racer" for a year by then, when all of my mates rode either BMX's or mountain bikes, upon which they could easily mount kerbs & gutters, etc!

Included within the 12 " true loves of my life" that are my 12 road bikes (& an admittedly & truly OBSCENE collection of 100% genuine & original La Vie Claire, ADR-Agrigel & Z Vêtements cycling apparel & paraphernalia that I also truly LOVE) are 7 pristine replicas of Lemond's TDF-winnong bikes from '86, '89 & '90, together with three other gorgeous bikes from that same 'semi-vintage era that are also very significant to me & two contemporary LOOK road bikes & it was Monsieur Lemond who "introduced" me to Oakley sunglasses, beginning with the Eyeshades, followed by the Blades & Razor Blades when he returned from his near-death shooting accident to win the '89 TDF by a mere 8 seconds, when he overturned his 52-second deficit to Fignon (RIP) in the final stage ITT & then won his second Men's World's in Chambéry less than 2 months later!

So I now own just the 5 pairs of original/vintage Eyeshades (2 blue, 1 black & 2 of the yellow version made most famous by GL in the '86 TDF, one pair of which is still BNIB - even has the original warranty card in there - & will NEVER see the light of day for as long as I live, which is made easier by the fact that my other fellow pair are still near-mint & will outlive me, that's for sure!!) & 2 pairs of Razor Blades/Blades (depending upon which lenses I opt for upon any given day), one pair bing the identical neon yellow pair that Lemond rode to victory in '89 & a pink frame/black earpieces version from 2005 - so even my "new" pair of Oaskleys is now almost 15 years old!!

Please excuse my verbosity here but I'm actually being rather succinct, by my rather loquacious standards when it comes to anything about which I am passionate & Greg Lemond, LOOK, the 3 aforementioned teams with which he was so successful & Oakley are clearly at the top of the tree (together with - in alphabetical order, rather than having to pick a favourite - my "adi-addiction" to Adidas, Arsenal FC, Ayrton Senna & Honda) when it comes to my many passions.

Thanks heaps to anyone who began reading this & even more thanks to anyone who actually finished reading this 'mini-novel' of an introduction & I look forward to learning more about both the company & any other miscellanea that I may learn from other members, as well as sharing a few laughs, especially when the 2019 TDF is just around the corner, although I'm aware that not everyone on here is a cycling fan & even those who are may either be into mountain bikes, track cycling, BMX's or even if they ride road bikes, they may find it about as exciting as I find watching golf to be!

Cheers & best wishes to all from "Down Under", during winter when most of you are enjoying your summertime & getting the most out of your Oakley's in all manners of vintage, design & colourways!!

Matt.

OAKLEY BLADES ad - 1989.png

Hi welcome

Tl dr br hioli
Thanks heaps for both your msg & the kind welcome! And no stress re: your not having read my "mini-novel" that I wrote - I neglected to add that after undergoing fairly major bone graft surgery upon my left calcaneus/heel only last week, I'm presently "flying" after having taken some rather hardcore analgesia just before having written it, which certainly didn't help with my extreme verbosity either!

All the best, my friend...Matt.

Thanks heaps for both your msg & the kind welcome! And no stress re: your not having read my "mini-novel" that I wrote - I neglected to add that after undergoing fairly major bone graft surgery upon my left calcaneus/heel only last week, I'm presently "flying" after having taken some rather hardcore analgesia just before having written it, which certainly didn't help with my extreme verbosity either!

All the best, my friend...Matt.

Ya I'm currently "flying" too off this newest bag of weed I just got...good times never end

Back