• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Color change 3.1 Megatower lit letters

Ucthis

Oakley Beginner
Arizona
Has anyone changed the color of the letters on their 3.1 megatower by painting or other means. Part of me thinks it would be really cool to mix it up with a Kokoro style.

I added a colored layer of Orange acrylic. Looks clean :)

IMG_7401.jpeg

I think you may be able to get color changing LED strips to mount behind the letters and achieve whatever color you are in the mood with.

That isn’t how it works. If memory holds (I did this a few years ago now), the upper “Oakley” is backlight back the same interior lights that light the case.

I’d recommend taking it apart and having a look, then making a plan for how to customize it.

That isn’t how it works. If memory holds (I did this a few years ago now), the upper “Oakley” is backlight back the same interior lights that light the case.

I’d recommend taking it apart and having a look, then making a plan for how to customize it.

Correct, the Oakley lit logo is backlit by the top fluorescent tubes

If its a Megatower 3.0, then yes. But if its a 3.1 that has recessed downlights up top, there is a separate fluorescent fixture that illuminates those letters.

It is a 3.1. The lights are the little ones recessed in the top.
Then you are good to go on finding a color changing light fixture. I pulled out the old ballast and fluorescent ends, cut the wires as close to the transformer as I could which is how I wired in the new light fixture. Remove the hex screws on the top and remove the top metal lid - you'll see exactly whats going on inside the top area. Leave the distribution block alone as that controls the downlight wiring.

Back