• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Corroded lenses

buski569

Oakley Beginner
Hi

I've been a loyal Oakley customer for 20+ years but have found my last 4 pairs have all suffered from the lenses being corroded (looks like lots of tiny scratches) to the point where they're just not nice to wear. [see photo]

Is this very common with polarized lenses (it only happened when I went polarized)? Is it a result of sunblock making its way on to the lenses? I wear sunblock a lot, living in NZ where the sunburn is severe. Could it be other reasons?

I'm at the point where I may have to look at other brands so I'm not forking out for glasses every 1-2 years.

Any ideas or reasons as to why this keeps happening would be much appreciated.

thanks
Kiernan
Oakley.jpg

Yep. Sunblock. You have to thoroughly clean every time you wear them. Even then they delaminate, just slower.

Yep. Sunblock. You have to thoroughly clean every time you wear them. Even then they delaminate, just slower.
Thanks, I'm pretty good at cleaning the lenses with the cloth, although not every time I wear them - that's a lot of hassle. I clean them with solution every two months, maybe I should do it more often but "only so many hours in a day etc..."

Do you know of any brands that are good quality lenses but don't delaminate as easily as Oakley?

They look like they’ve been cleaned with a cactus.
:(
Or attacked by chemical products. You will likely have the same problem with any other brand with “plastic” lenses.
Indeed. I've only ever cleaned with the micro bag case and Oakley solution.

Are you saying there are non-plastic lenses I could look at to avoid this issue?

Thanks, I'm pretty good at cleaning the lenses with the cloth, although not every time I wear them - that's a lot of hassle. I clean them with solution every two months, maybe I should do it more often but "only so many hours in a day etc..."

Do you know of any brands that are good quality lenses but don't delaminate as easily as Oakley?
Linegear, Ikon, and Fuse, are ones that I use. The higher end lenses have worked pretty good for me so far, and I haven't seen de-lam issues like on Oakley lenses.

Latest Posts

Back