• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Current M Frame Vs. Pro M Frame

Certainly! Not super high quality, let me know if you need anything more.

2012-07-25185231.jpg

The main difference is at the temple, where the Hammer of the stem is. The Pro frame is a little more pronounced and flares a bit more dramatically. Also, the Pro icon is molded as part of the frame and painted, where the 'New'/Gen3 frame has set-in metal icons. The inside of the Pro frame is also a lot more squared off. It's definitely a hybrid of the Gen2 and Gen3 frames.

2012-07-25185251.jpg

Is it just me, or is the frame thinner on the Pro in your picture Rust?

Where at? The frame on the Pro near the temples is a bit thinner, it doesn't need to bulk up for the hinge like the standard frame. The hammer area also thins out toward the extremes. Along the brow of the frame the Pro is actually a little beefier since the inside face is squared more. It might be the VR28 vs. Black Iridium lenses in the two frames causing a little illusion.

The two frames are definitely not the same though. If you glued the hinges on the normal frame it wouldn't be the same as the Pro. Along with the more old-school feel of the Pro due to the boxier feel and the molded/raised icon I'd say the Pro may fit a hair snugger in the stems, but the frame as a whole feels a bit more solid than the standard folding frame.

I wouldn't think it would be any better than the standard frame. The difference in fit is very slight.

The M Frame 2.0 frame is a slimmer fit, but not by a whole lot. That's the bottom left frame in OpinionatedOakley's photo. It essentially has straight stems in lieu of the hammer stems, so it definitely won't look as wide, but still be as versatile as the other frames.

Half Jacket original or 2.0 would be my suggestion for a sports frame with the smallest fit.

Thank you Rustpot. The Fast Jacket actually fits pretty well. I like it better than the Half Jacket / 2.0. I have a set of Radar Paths that might just be too much going on - I think I want to try an trade them for some M Frames to get a more minimal look.

Is your face narrow, or your head narrow? If the Fasts fit and the Radars fit, both of which without much gap at the temples, I'd wager you don't have a narrow head.

I don't like Radars as much as M Frames. Radars creak and flex in every direction, they take the "3-Point-Fit" to a higher degree. The lenses have fewer options, and don't feel like they hug the face as nicely. M Frames just feel like you're strapping on a lens, where the Radars feel like a pair of sports glasses. Radars look better in pictures but the pair of glasses that never gets left at home is my M Frames. I'll carry two cases in my bag, one of which contains M Frame Heater black iridium polarized, the other contains a NewFrog, Ten, Eyepatch, Whisker, whatever other pair I want to wear more for fashion. The M is hands-down the best performance pair of glasses. Certain activities or preferences might suit something else, but so long as you're not posing for a photo-op or wearing other head gear nothing beats the M Frame for field of view, comfort, performance, adaptability, safety.

I REALLY wish Oakley made more lens options. I'd like a Heater that's more full-cut on the sides, and something like the Slash that's vented like crazy and has the newer anti-fog coating.

Enough of my rant though.

Thank you Rustpot. The Fast Jacket actually fits pretty well. I like it better than the Half Jacket / 2.0. I have a set of Radar Paths that might just be too much going on - I think I want to try an trade them for some M Frames to get a more minimal look.

Sorry to highjack your thread. What colorway is your Radar path? Would you be interested in a possible trade for a pair of Fast Jackets? Send me a PM if you're interested.

Back