• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Distorted RX Oakley sunglasses....

NewUser

Oakley Beginner
Hey folks,

New to the forum and have a few questions about my rescent purchase of my new Oakly RX sunglasses.

I just bought a pair of Straightlink with Oakley RX prizm black lenses. The fit is amazing, and is exactly what I was looking for in a true RX sport sunglass.

The question is when I put them on, there is noticible distortion. They are gauranteed RX Oakley lenses as they were purchased from an authorized source and are etched with the Oakley logo.

Is it normal to have some distortion? I'm not sure b/c this is my first pair of Oakley RX sunglasses. Please let me know if this is normal. It's not like I can't see with them on, but it seems that something Is off to me.

Thanks in advance for your input!

What kind of distortion do you mean? Is it similar to other RX lenses you've used?
With some (or all maybe) prescriptions you'll get some change in perspective. I have astigmatism and the corrective lenses will always give a slight horizontal fish-eye effect.

You may want to not only have the "PD" checked, but have the optician who sold them or your doctor also check the "OC Height".

If those are off you'll have noticable issues. Do you have that same RX in other "flat" glasses?

Give them one chance to remake for free, and if they can't get it right let then know you'll expect a refund or exchange to another brand or flatter frame.

Hey folks,

Thanks for the reply. So I have not yet taken the issue to the optical where they were purchased but I will be going in the next few days.

Basically, I put them on, and it's blurry. I have the same perscription which is new but my new rx glasses are fine. If I'm wearing the sunglasses, and I lift them up about a a half inch, there are crystal clear.

My assumption is that the height is incorrect...

Ya it's kind of an aggrivation when you spend huge money on something like this. I will pop into my optical this week to bring the issue to their attention.

My wife is having the same exact issue on her new Oakley RX Straightlink sunglasses, we have never had this problem before in the 7 sets of RX sunglasses, though my wife's prescription is stronger than mine, but even she never had this issue in the last 2 pairs... Her new pair is causing headaches and she feels as though she'll be sick while she has them on, when she puts her older pair all of that goes away. We have been in touch with the optician so, hopefully this will be resolved soon.

My wife is having the same exact issue on her new Oakley RX Straightlink sunglasses, we have never had this problem before in the 7 sets of RX sunglasses, though my wife's prescription is stronger than mine, but even she never had this issue in the last 2 pairs... Her new pair is causing headaches and she feels as though she'll be sick while she has them on, when she puts her older pair all of that goes away. We have been in touch with the optician so, hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Sorry to hear about the issues. Mine has not been resolved yet, however my optician is taking care of this. There removed my current lenses and took a more accurate reading of my pupil center and found that the measurement was 3mm low. So when I move the glasses ever so slightly upwards, everything is crystal clear.

The ordered my a second set of lenses, but they came exactly as the first set. So I'm still waiting for the new ones to come in. Here's hoping?

Thank you for the additional insight. We have not been lucky with this pair. First we were told by Oakley that Black Iridium VR28 lenses are not available, and that a close replacement is a Black Iridium Prizm lens, only to receive some pink lenses with pink mirror finish, and then we were told that Black Iridium Prizm is not available in RX, and so we settled on Titanium Iridium, but now this set is not working well. Our optician is on vacation, but we will see what options are available to my wife... Good luck with your new lenses - please let us know if the problem was corrected.

Back