• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Fantasy Football 2017

DjDan

Oakley Expert
Florida
Anyone else here play Fantasy Football? I gave it a shot last year, after saying how dumb Fantasy football was and wound up having a blast! It also helps when you win up winning the Fantasy Football Championship in your league as well:lol:

I've already 1 draft, and have another on Monday. With a possible Third one on Tuesday.

First one I did is with my former co workers, in which I won last year. We bumped it up to a 12 man league, and boy does the talent go QUICK.

12 man league, non PPR.

Screen Shot 2017-08-29 at 7.15.31 PM.png

I drafted 2nd in our draft. Only Bummer so far was I drafted julian edelman (before he tore his ACL) instead of Frank Gore, Didn't realize he was still on the board.. He would have made a nice Flex option..

Everyone was blood thirsty on grabbing starting RB's AND backup RB's.

One of my favorite websites for fantasy football is rotoviz.com. It started from guys who won a lot of money playing daily football using advanced metrics and analytics to find superior athletes. From the outside looking in, I see why bad NFL teams stay bad and good NFL teams stay good -- because good teams are using metrics and historical data analysis to evaluate players. Good teams trade for picks and move back in the draft instead of moving up and sending away picks. Even the Browns are in on it, last year they hired the "Moneyball" guy who did the same thing for baseball what we are now doing for football. Already you can see a difference in the Browns talent potential on the roster from them making more informed player decisions and excellent draft decisions this and last year.

The guys at RV also pioneered a method of drafting called "Zero RB" where you basically spend the first 3 or 4 picks strictly on stud wide receivers and "zero" running backs. It would have worked great in your league where people are loading up on running backs early. The idea is to profit later in the season from volatility in the running back market (with injuries, time shares, etc). Just ask anyone who spent their first pick on Todd Gurley or CJ Anderson last year how that early RB pick worked out for them.

I play in a yearly dynasty league where you can "keep" any number of players you choose from year to year, here's this years roster. I've tried to build a solid core of pillar-type players that are superior athletes, metrically, to other players. I also look for them young -- look for players who are entering the league at a young age, who broke out in college at a young age... this is the key. Brandin Cooks & Amari Cooper are great example. Both these guys just 23 years old yet entering their 3rd year in the league. That's the sauce. Patriots know what's up with Cooks!! (another example of good teams acquiring good players)

keeper.jpg

Last edited:
I don't draft well. Part of the reason I ended up with the last place trophy so often. But I like wings, and I like beer.

Lol! Nothing wrong with that!

I'm fine with my draft, just would have liked to get another RB, but I should be okay! It'll come down to me playing the right receivers and the right receiver as my flex.

Lol! Nothing wrong with that!

I'm fine with my draft, just would have liked to get another RB, but I should be okay! It'll come down to me playing the right receivers and the right receiver as my flex.
One year I drafted nothing but qbs. The year Peyton Manning and brady threw for thousands of touchdowns I had them both, and drew brees and some other great qbs. I lost bad that year. Nobody would trade with me. I did that in hockey once, drafted all goalies. It worked because people would trade. The fee going from $10 to $100 means I might have to try this year.

One year I drafted nothing but qbs. The year Peyton Manning and brady threw for thousands of touchdowns I had them both, and drew brees and some other great qbs. I lost bad that year. Nobody would trade with me. I did that in hockey once, drafted all goalies. It worked because people would trade. The fee going from $10 to $100 means I might have to try this year.

Lol!! Interesting strategy! And yea,
You might actually want to truncate with a buy in like that!

First league was a $50 buy in. The one I draft on Monday is $100.

I'm also in a pick em league, where you pick every game against the spread all season long, and the 3 best records pay out. So far this year, we're at 37 people at a $100 buy in:shock:

That's serious money. I want to start an empire league. Where the purse is only half the buy in. The other half rolls over to the next year. The purse grows larger every year without increasing the buy in. But if someone wins back to back seasons you win the whole pot. Then start over. That would work well for my league. We have had the same people for close to ten years now.

That's serious money. I want to start an empire league. Where the purse is only half the buy in. The other half rolls over to the next year. The purse grows larger every year without increasing the buy in. But if someone wins back to back seasons you win the whole pot. Then start over. That would work well for my league. We have had the same people for close to ten years now.

For sure. I won it back when we only had 10 people with a $50 buy in. We started the league 3 years ago, and it just keeps growing. It started as a work group, but then as people quit they still wanted to play. And then they told they're new work buddies about it and we've kinda just let them join.

I have a slight gambling addiction (blackjack & roulete),and especially when it comes to sports. I bet on football,basketball, and just started to dabble into betting on baseball, all season long. And then of course when there is a big UFC or Boxing match

Latest Posts

Back