• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Gas Can SI's - My Predicament - Kinda Pissed @ Oakley

The Cerakote ones you purchased are part of a limited edition run so they don't produce any more than they plan to make. Possibly the reason the polarized version was back ordered was because they didn't make enough tungsten polarized lenses

By that logic, I wouldn't even be able to send them back for lens repair or replacement if I had a problem? Well, that would really suck! I would like to think Oakley would have the foresight to produce MANY extra lenses for a tactically oriented pair of glasses. Making only enough lenses for exactly what they plan to use would be silly, unless it were for another one of their "collector" models, like the OTT for example, which are more of a shelf ornament than a hard use item.

Last edited:
If they aren't listed for sale separately, why are you mad they aren't for sale separately? Seems your problem, not anyone else's.

@pistolpetefan23

I answered your question as to to why I'm mad at Oakley, and its because I was mislead by an Oakley rep. I know you read my reply to your post because you're liking posts after it, yet you haven't replied any further. Hopefully you've lost that sarcastic tone after seeing that this ordeal was caused by a "half-truth" told to me by the rep, and not because I failed to double check on the lens availability first like it seems you were assuming.

ETA: And you say it seems to be my problem, not anyone else's. As I've also previously mentioned, it could become a lot of others' problem once they eventually need replacements and Oakley just says "sorry, can't help". It's only me right now, but I'm sure it'll be more in the future due to the way these glasses are marketed and used.

Last edited:
Can anyone more knowledgeable than myself explain why Oakley chooses to sell some lenses, but not others? I can't possibly think what their reasoning would be for doing that.

It's mostly economies of scale, and time available for production. If Oakley knows they sell 100 lens sets a day, and they can make 100 lens sets a day (both made up numbers) they'll only make the 100 with the highest likelihood of being purchased. Polarized iridium lenses in non-black or non-fashion colors don't sell as well. So they make less. Maybe only enough to supply the glasses being made and a small replacement stock.

They also do NOT co-mingle the retail items and the warranty/repair items. So even though the custom program has all kinds of options, you can't buy them at retail even if you call them up.

So the Gascan, which is a dated frame and sales of it are likely on the decline, won't have the full support it had in its heyday. Lens options get scaled back as they identify slow-moving options and eliminate SKUs from being regularly produced and stocked to make room for the styles and frames that have a higher sale rate.

Tungsten is a lens that doesn't get a lot of love. Especially now that Prizm is the current rage. Most people buy one pair and it's either a fashion pair, a sports pair, or black.

And as far as SI goes - it's against uniform regs to wear mirrored lenses, so the Tungsten pair they sell is actually not fully intended as a duty pair.

It's mostly economies of scale, and time available for production. If Oakley knows they sell 100 lens sets a day, and they can make 100 lens sets a day (both made up numbers) they'll only make the 100 with the highest likelihood of being purchased. Polarized iridium lenses in non-black or non-fashion colors don't sell as well. So they make less. Maybe only enough to supply the glasses being made and a small replacement stock.

They also do NOT co-mingle the retail items and the warranty/repair items. So even though the custom program has all kinds of options, you can't buy them at retail even if you call them up.

So the Gascan, which is a dated frame and sales of it are likely on the decline, won't have the full support it had in its heyday. Lens options get scaled back as they identify slow-moving options and eliminate SKUs from being regularly produced and stocked to make room for the styles and frames that have a higher sale rate.

Tungsten is a lens that doesn't get a lot of love. Especially now that Prizm is the current rage. Most people buy one pair and it's either a fashion pair, a sports pair, or black.

And as far as SI goes - it's against uniform regs to wear mirrored lenses, so the Tungsten pair they sell is actually not fully intended as a duty pair.

I totally understand what you're saying. I still think Oakley should offer replacement lenses for a pair they market directly to the LE/MIL crowd and get used as such. And as far as the UC/DC, I'm sure you know how strictly that's enforced. :grin:

Last edited:
@pistolpetefan23

I answered your question as to to why I'm mad at Oakley, and its because I was mislead by an Oakley rep. I know you read my reply to your post because you're liking posts after it, yet you haven't replied any further. Hopefully you've lost that sarcastic tone after seeing that this ordeal was caused by a "half-truth" told to me by the rep, and not because I failed to double check on the lens availability first like it seems you were assuming.

ETA: And you say it seems to be my problem, not anyone else's. As I've also previously mentioned, it could become a lot of others' problem once they eventually need replacements and Oakley just says "sorry, can't help". It's only me right now, but I'm sure it'll be more in the future due to the way these glasses are marketed and used.
"We make replacement lenses" isn't the same as "We make and individually sell every lens offered in every pair of sunglasses, especially this limited edition Tungsten Iridium Polarized Gascan."

There are literally dozens of replacement lens options for that model alone. And if you scratch the crap out of your lenses, that's your issue.

"We make replacement lenses" isn't the same as "We make and individually sell every lens offered in every pair of sunglasses, especially this limited edition Tungsten Iridium Polarized Gascan."

There are literally dozens of replacement lens options for that model alone. And if you scratch the crap out of your lenses, that's your issue.

Hey smartass, we were discussing the SI Gas Can's in particular. We were at SHOT Show, after all.

Hey smartass, we were discussing the SI Gas Can's in particular. We were at SHOT Show, after all.
Now now. No need to start calling names. :)

One thing about reps on the road. They don't exactly know what the brain is always doing. ;)

Back