• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

HELP!!! Badman hinges

Sound words, once again thanks for stepping in.

To change the subject, I´m attaching some WIP on an upgraded springless hinge, were the round stem that breaks is beefed up to the point of the outer diameter of the spring, making it more robust. Also, the corner that limits the stop when the legs fully open was extended to keep the legs from opening to the point where the former spring would make them return to its resting position.

View attachment 228588

View attachment 228589

View attachment 228590
So what would the timeframe and cost be to make something like this? For sure it's needed. I wonder if @Linegear Japan has noticed this problem and would carry something like this as a replacement for an obviously deficient stock part.

So what would the timeframe and cost be to make something like this? For sure it's needed. I wonder if @Linegear Japan has noticed this problem and would carry something like this as a replacement for an obviously deficient stock part.

Certainly the R&D stage is time and resource consuming, as the next stage would be printing this model on a hi-res DLP printer and test it on the actual frame and make all the needed adjustments. Then, to manufacture a metal sample, you could either use the same DLP method on wax and cast the piece. Otherwise you could mill the part on a vertical CNC machining center.

Casting has the disadvantage of requiring a tempering process and a bit of finishing work do to the natural seams and imperfections, depending on the quality of the cast. Still there is a risk of having bubbles that could weaken the part.

Milling rules out most of this issues, as you start with already tempered material that has gone through QC, so it's safer. The problem with milling is that being the part so small, it could be tough and time consuming to replicate the smallest details. In this case the round stem of the part, by sitting perpendicular to the Z axis, would require several passes with a round end mill to achieve an acceptable and functional result.

Last cut these parts. there will be no tooling required and most laser shops if you've given that sample will duplicate it

Last cut these parts. there will be no tooling required and most laser shops if you've given that sample will duplicate it
It's an option, but laser cutting will only trace the contour, you'd still have to round the stem; either by hand or maybe using a jeweler's lathe. I don't know of any laser shops with a machine capable of cutting through steel where I live though... If someone is willing to try I can send the outline of the part.

What about MIM.. metal injected Moulding I'm almost positive that's how Oakley does it

Sound words, once again thanks for stepping in.

To change the subject, I´m attaching some WIP on an upgraded springless hinge, were the round stem that breaks is beefed up to the point of the outer diameter of the spring, making it more robust. Also, the corner that limits the stop when the legs fully open was extended to keep the legs from opening to the point where the former spring would make them return to its resting position.

View attachment 228588

View attachment 228589

View attachment 228590
Hi what are the dimensions for your drawing?

I can repair these for anyone that has any issues or breakage of the hinges. I can do both sides of the glasses for you with more robust hinges, lubed and oiled for $100 shipped. All you have to do is ship to me and I will coordinate with you every step of the way. I have some hinges on order that will arrive by mid August so can start them then. Thanks guys.

I can repair these for anyone that has any issues or breakage of the hinges. I can do both sides of the glasses for you with more robust hinges, lubed and oiled for $100 shipped. All you have to do is ship to me and I will coordinate with you every step of the way. I have some hinges on order that will arrive by mid August so can start them then. Thanks guys.
Awesome
Can you post some pictures of the replacement spring hinge assembly?
Where are you located?

Sure - I am in TX. I am also on ebay and her is the link if you guys want to do it through there so there is some purchase protections. I will lower the price to $95 for the service. I have performed alot of these for friends and just sent one to Oklahoma that was just repaired (both hinges). I have an order of hinges coming in mid to end of August so some will be delayed until then but if the order is placed, I can get them tee'd up. Let me know if you guys have any issues or questions. My cell is 917-613-2647 - thanks. Oakley Badman Madman X Metal X-Metal 2 Double Hinge Repair Service Replace Both | eBay

Back