• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Holbrook XL with Prizm Sapphire Polarized Lenses

Will the Prizm Road lenses also have this phenomenon?
Not likely, I used to have a pair, and I didn't care for the purplish look they gave thru the lens. But it was consistent regardless of viewing angle.

I have Prizm Sapphire Polarized in my Latch Alpha. It's not my favorite lens, gives a decent neutral look down the middle for the most part on account of being a grey base. But it definitely does have a color shift if you look thru the top of the lens (such as tilting your head down and looking forward) to what would appear green compared to the middle. Only other lens I have that does a similar shift is Prizm Ruby, and to some very small degree Prim Deep Water Polarized.

The big similarities between those is that they all have an iridium coating close to mirror finish on the front, and that color shift is stronger on the ones that change colors in reflecting on the front which is both present in Sapphire and Ruby. So it's not the polarisation or base but the reflective coating on front.

And it does make sense because of the appearance of color is different on the front, then the reflected color is the color you're seeing less of from the back, because that was reflected away from your eyes.

I don't get that effect with Prizm Trail, Shallow Water Polarized, Tungsten, Low Light, Black, Black Iridium, or Snow Sapphire. They all appear to have the same reflected color from all viewing angle.

But I do a very tiny bit with Trail Torch... Which as you may guess has a slightly different reflected color at the edges or curvature depending on viewing angle.

By the way I own three Holbrook XL, a Kokoro design with Prizm Trail, Woodgrain with Prizm Tungsten Polarized , and a Tortoiseshell with Prizm Shallow Water Polarized that is sometimes swapped with Prizm Ruby (non polarized). The tungsten is my favorite go-to for Brigit days especially when driving, but may be too much contrast and color pop for some people. Trail being my other favorite in nearly every other condition.

Back