• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Sonders

Oakley Beginner
Cleaning your sunglasses regularly is important to prevent long-term damage! And considering a good pair of sunglasses costs a pretty penny, you want to keep them in tip-top shape for as long as possible.  

Keep reading as our experts detail the best 5-step method to cleaning your sunglasses!

5 Easy Steps to Clean Your Sunglasses

Now that you know why you should clean your glasses regularly, here’s the best way to go about it, step-by-step:

1. Rinse under warm water

Remember to wash your hands thoroughly before you start. This prevents you from transferring oils, dirt, and bacteria to your lenses while you clean them.

Next, hold the sunglasses by the bridge, this is the length of plastic connecting the two lenses. Alternatively, grab them by the rim of the lens.

Then, rinse the glasses under warm water to remove surface dirt and grime. You’re less likely to scratch the lenses if you rinse them off first. And don’t forget to rinse the arms and frame as well...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you need to use a cleaning solution or warm soap and water. Using just the microfiber will just lead to smearing and scratching if there's any debris on the lenses.

If you're cleaning Oakleys, try using the Oakley cleaning solution spray - but this will honestly work on any sunglasses too. You can also find generic sunglasses cleaning solution at Walmart and Sam's for less than $10 for a LOT of solution!

If you just carry a microfiber bag around in your pocket as I do, be sure to flip it inside out and clean it with the inside only. The outside of the bag can pick up lint, dirt, or lotions from your pocket and potentially scratch your lenses. If the smudging is not too bad, I usually just wait until I get home to use a freshly washed microfiber cloth and cleaning solution.

I always leave the microfiber bag in the hard case that I keep in my car for the sunglasses, so shouldn’t be picking up anything. I will still try the inside-out trick though.

Is there an advantage to using the cleaning kit versus soap and water? I've been using a single drop of Dawn on each lens, blowing off excess water, and dabbing them dry with the microfiber cloth for years. If there are any streaks left I'll use a clean detailing microfiber towel that's been through the wash a few times to soften. I've read that using water can speed up the deterioration of flex couplers.

I usually use the cleaning solution spray and the micro cloth that came with the kit I bought years ago. It comes with free refills from the sunglasses hut.

Yes you need to use a cleaning solution. Using just the microfiber will just lead to smearing and scratching.
If you don't want to use the Oakley one, Zeiss makes one that is a great value.
You can find it at WalMart and Sam's for less than $10 for a LOT of solution.

Here's a link. Shows out of stock online but my local Sams has it. Also can be found on Amazon.

They also sell the wipes which work real well and are also quite cheap around 9 bucks for 225 ct

Last edited:
Just wanted to give an update: recently I started using soapy water to clean off my frames and lenses and then then wipe off/dry with a Norwex window cloth which seems to work very well. In a pinch while out, I still use the bag for quick wipe offs; but once I get home I have started actually washing them off and boy do they look nice and new afterwards

Latest Posts

Back