• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

In Need Of Some X Wisdom

o-freak 85

Oakley Beginner
Warren OH
Hey guys, I've been on the lookout for a x-metal juliet and just picked up something that's got me confused. I've got two pair of plasma and they both have a very smooth finish, this new pair is rougher. This pair does not have a serial but my other two do. Did the finish change that much between the generations? Also, does anyone have dark rivets in their plasma frame? This new pair has darker almost matte rivets where my plasmas both have polished rivets. I'm lost on this. When I compare them all next to each other it seems like I have three plasma pairs. When I look at them all separately the new pair looks to be a very similar finish to the x-metal XS (more of a whitish-grey than the old school such as Romeo). The lenses that were in these appeared to be Ruby until I put them next to Fire. Then they looked just a bit more reddish than yellow. I may be losing my mind here. What do you guys think?
bd899715.jpg

f38e2492.jpg

3d674c23.jpg

If the new juliet you got is that top one in the first picture, it looks like a 1st gen plasma/fire to me. My 1st gen fire lenses look like that. The frame looks more champagne/bone and the finish is more like a matte finish right?

1st gen would have a serial though wouldn't it? Sorry, glasses in question are on top in the 1st pic and the bottom in the last two.

yea 1st gen would have a serial but even mine looks like it is rubbing off a bit. Here is a pic of mine...looks just like yours. 1st gen fire lenses are a beauty...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the finish on those rough? And what about the rivet color, it doesn't seem to be darker than the frame? It doesn't make sense to me that the newer plasma could look like this. The only other color I'm thinking is possibly titanium? Did that ever come non-serialized?

You got me stumped then Greg! I don't think the titanium Juliet ever came out without a serial. My rivets aren't darker than the frame. The finish on mine isn't as rough as X Metal but it is not smooth like the new plasma either.

I think I found some freak Juliet's! She's still a beauty, tightest frame I've got to date. I just need some pretty lenses for her and I'll be all set. Rob, those emerald's that I told you about came in today and they look great except one lens has a pretty decent size chunk (just under 1/8" round) of iridium missing. Broke my heart to see that after I fell for the color.

I think I found some freak Juliet's! She's still a beauty, tightest frame I've got to date. I just need some pretty lenses for her and I'll be all set. Rob, those emerald's that I told you about came in today and they look great except one lens has a pretty decent size chunk (just under 1/8" round) of iridium missing. Broke my heart to see that after I fell for the color.

Ahhh sucks about your emeralds! Are they noticeable when installed in a frame?

I was wondering the same thing but it seemed like the guy I bought them off of didn't have too much knowledge on the x-metal background so I really doubt they've ever had a tuneup. Plus it was missing one lens gasket and the screws were getting ready to strip when I got them and if he had sent them in they would have replaced all of that mess. Anything's possible though. I'm happy with the color, just really curious as to what it is.

Latest Posts

Back