• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Iridium crack and peel when changing lens

LeoW

Oakley Beginner
Started off with a small peel at the edge with frame area on the first time removal, after that it propagated beyond control and now having all the larger cracks across both lenses.:cry:
Have been following the technique shared on YouTube. Wondering what has gone wrong before attempting on new replacement lens. Thanks.
1000027578.jpg

Started off with a small peel at the edge with frame area on the first time removal, after that it propagated beyond control and now having all the larger cracks across both lenses.:cry:
Have been following the technique shared on YouTube. Wondering what has gone wrong before attempting on new replacement lens. Thanks.View attachment 1115203
Its really shameful, but common

Damn Bro, that sucks. But it's called delamination and Oakley lenses are known for it. May I suggest buying an aftermarket replacement lens. That are good lens companies, depending on what model you have.

Damn Bro, that sucks. But it's called delamination and Oakley lenses are known for it. May I suggest buying an aftermarket replacement lens. That are good lens companies, depending on what model you have.
Ya man, sucks big time. I knew oakley lens are known for inner side of the lens coating to delam, never expect this to happen on iridium. Just need a small chip, it will propogate beyond one can imagine.

Back to my original question, anyone knows what have gone wrong that could have caused the first chip/peel/delam when swapping the lens?
Any specific technique or method I should watch out for?

Back to my original question, anyone knows what have gone wrong that could have caused the first chip/peel/delam when swapping the lens?
Any specific technique or method I should watch out for?
No, this happens regardless. There’s no technique or method. It has happened to me lots of times. Some people use scotch tape or packing tape to try and remove the delamination. I also have a few prototypes that were made specifically for Jerry Rice that did this, I was heartbroken.😭 That’s right, POIDH
IMG_1791.jpeg

Last edited:
No, this happens regardless. There’s no technique or method. It has happened to me lots of times. Some people use scotch tape or packing tape to try and remove the delamination. I also a few prototypes that was made specifically for Jerry Rice that did this, I was heartbroken.😭
Oh no... Sad to see our beloved pairs get spoilt. I have used this method to remove the delaminated inner surface coating (side in front of my face), haven't tried on iridium, yet.
Sigh, guess need to keep my fingers crossed when the replacement lens arrives.

Last edited:
Oh no... Sad to see our beloved pairs get spoilt. I have used this method to remove the delaminated inner surface coating (side in front of my face), haven't tried on iridium, yet.
Sigh, guess need to keep my fingers crossed when the replacement lens arrives.
Once delamination has occurred, the lenses are only fit for display(if not chronic), or the bin. Wearing them without Iridium coating(if they originally came with this), is risking your eyesight......

Back