• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Iridium gradient defect?

I know exactly what you are talking about. I've seen it a dozen times or more. I don't know exact manufacturing process, but speculate only. I do think perhaps as they are running out of the metal oxides that get vacuum coated to a lens this can happen. I do picture the process being as you say "sprayed" on and perhaps that's why the edges are the only area this seems to affect. Don't worry. It shouldn't turn into a warranty issue , but if it does send them back :)

I know exactly what you are talking about. I've seen it a dozen times or more. I don't know exact manufacturing process, but speculate only. I do think perhaps as they are running out of the metal oxides that get vacuum coated to a lens this can happen. I do picture the process being as you say "sprayed" on and perhaps that's why the edges are the only area this seems to affect. Don't worry. It shouldn't turn into a warranty issue , but if it does send them back :)
Thanks :) Do you mean that I should just go on wearing them (since the FOV is not affected)? I'm just disappointed because (as I said before) this is already a replacement for the defective original ones and had to wait several weeks for it (EU Oakley was out of stock for a while)

I had a pair of batwolf lenses that were that way and it never caused me grief. I just mean it never flaked or got worse. It's up to you what you do. I just don't know if I'd worry since you may get another set w similar issue anyway. What do u think?

I had a pair of batwolf lenses that were that way and it never caused me grief. I just mean it never flaked or got worse. It's up to you what you do. I just don't know if I'd worry since you may get another set w similar issue anyway. What do u think?
It's exactly this issue (flaking/peeling) that I've been worried about. My local Oakley dealer has graciously offered to refund the glasses (after he ordered this replacement lens for the original one, which had a scratch/mark in the middle out of the box), but then again, I'm where you say: I could order another one and end up with some defect. In fact, I checked the same model (Radar EV Prizm Trail Torch) in another store last night, and while it didn't have this uneven, smudge-looking fade at the edges, it was even worse quality: there was a torch red to yellow fade only on one side (left), while the other edge/corner was uniformly red all the way. The poor guy in the store couldn't believe his eyes when I pointed it out to him :)

Back