• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Iridium gradient defect?

steveadorjan

Oakley Beginner
Apologies for the clumsy title. I've just bought a Radar EV Path with the new Prizm Trail Torch lens/shield. Much to my dismay, the two edges (far left and far right), where the reddish torch iridium tint turns into yellowish gold (that's the gradient I meant in the title), the transition between the two colors is far from perfect. In fact, it looks sort of smudged, with the red bleeding over into the yellow in spots, so it looks like it's stained. Unfortunately, I cannot really take a good photo, as it only shows when rotated under a certain light angle.

I have multiple Radar EV and Radarlock lenses, where the edges shift the color from the center (e.g. from reddish/purplish to yellow with the Prizm Road or from dark gold to greenish/yellow with the 24K), and I know that this is common also with more curvy Ruby or Fire lenses. But the gradient on those is usually smooth and looks natural, unlike my new Trail Torch lens, where it's almost like somebody was spray painting the lens and suddenly ran out of spray.

I wonder if this is acceptable or more common now (i.e. declining QC standards)? This is already the second lens for my glasses (the first one had some factory defect out of the box and this is the warranty replacement lens from Oakley). I'm quite disappointed as I was really looking forward to these lenses

All Torch lenses have that. It's the light refraction off the Iridium coating, through the lens material. That's why when you turn the lens, it disappears and reappears. It's the same reason why the sun becomes red as it nears the horizon: the sun hasn't changed, the medium, or amount of 'stuff' the light passes through before hitting your eyeballs has.

Personally I like the torch effect. If you want a more uniform aesthetic, maybe one of the lens tailors here can pull it off. With the curve on the shield style lenses, it has to be a challenge though.

All Torch lenses have that. It's the light refraction off the Iridium coating, through the lens material. That's why when you turn the lens, it disappears and reappears. It's the same reason why the sun becomes red as it nears the horizon: the sun hasn't changed, the medium, or amount of 'stuff' the light passes through before hitting your eyeballs has.

Personally I like the torch effect. If you want a more uniform aesthetic, maybe one of the lens tailors here can pull it off. With the curve on the shield style lenses, it has to be a challenge though.
Never had a Torch lens before. But this effect is rather uneven, so I wonder if it's actually supposed to be like this or not. I mean, there are reddish ('Torch') stains in the yellow sections at the edge of the lens, but they are like smudges/stains

pictures?
The photos don't show it very well, but hopefully this gives an idea
DSC_0027.JPG
DSC_0031.JPG
DSC_0032.JPG

Latest Posts

Back