• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Jawbreaker Perfected

You might also want to look at accessories for your head. A breathable skull cap that absorbs the sweat before it starts down your forehead may solve the issue better than anything Oakley could ever offer. That works for me in a military context.
Thanks. I've tried these options and it just adds heat and nulls the helmet's airflow features.

I wear a skull cap under my bike helmet. It really helps with the sweat not dripping down and also prevents my bald head from getting sunburned. I always had sweat dripping down like a waterfall but the skull cap somehow absorbs it and the sweat evaporates from the skull cap. Never smell the skull cap after riding though and wash it immediately... ;)

I almost always ride with a jawbreaker and never have the issue with sweat dripping onto the inside of the lens anymore since I start wearing the skull cap. For me the jawbreaker is just a perfect frame.

After bike rides I always rinse the Jawbreakers nose piece with water, this seems to help the unobtanium keeping sticky. I Hope this can help you somehow.
1.jpg

I wear a skull cap under my bike helmet. It really helps with the sweat not dripping down and also prevents my bald head from getting sunburned. I always had sweat dripping down like a waterfall but the skull cap somehow absorbs it and the sweat evaporates from the skull cap. Never smell the skull cap after riding though and wash it immediately... ;)

I almost always ride with a jawbreaker and never have the issue with sweat dripping onto the inside of the lens anymore since I start wearing the skull cap. For me the jawbreaker is just a perfect frame.

After bike rides I always rinse the Jawbreakers nose piece with water, this seems to help the unobtanium keeping sticky. I Hope this can help you somehow.
1.jpg
Thanks, Jerome. I'm not sure where or how you're riding, but for me...adding a skull cap is too much heat for how hard I'm riding. I've tried wearing them and it doesn't allow the helmet's airflow features to function and it's HOT! Once soaked, they pour more sweat than my head does so on longer rides, it's even worse.

Thanks, Jerome. I'm not sure where or how you're riding, but for me...adding a skull cap is too much heat for how hard I'm riding. I've tried wearing them and it doesn't allow the helmet's airflow features to function and it's HOT! Once soaked, they pour more sweat than my head does so on longer rides, it's even worse.

I'm bald so my head doesn't have extra "insulation" from hair. I've ridden in very hot conditions (86+ degrees Fahrenheit in the full sun) wearing the skull cap and have not experienced overheating. I do have a Giro helmet with good airflow. I ride a moutainbike and also ride really steep trail hills that some people might say can't be climbed with a bike, I really push myself and my bike to the limit and sweat poors down. So I'm getting hot that's for sure.

It might be an idea before you start riding to first wet your hair and then put on the skullcap and also wet that water. I see riders do this all the time in the summer. Once the water starts evaporating this really cools down your head. Once your head cools you will not overheat that quickly.

I also see people putting ice cubes in their drinking bottles so the water they drink is really cooled. Once you get dehydrated you will start to overheat real quick and start sweating extra. Dehydration is a real pain in the butt so drink, drink and drink some more. In the summer I see riders stopping at diners just to pickup extra bottles with cooled water. Cool water seems to work the best, not those special sport drinks with all that sugar and caffeine and other stuff in them. Just cool water to keep you from dehydrating and overheating.
Some riders even use cooled sponges they press against the back of their neck for extra cooling. Hope this helps.

I'm bald so my head doesn't have extra "insulation" from hair. I've ridden in very hot conditions (86+ degrees Fahrenheit in the full sun) wearing the skull cap and have not experienced overheating. I do have a Giro helmet with good airflow. I ride a moutainbike and also ride really steep trail hills that some people might say can't be climbed with a bike, I really push myself and my bike to the limit and sweat poors down. So I'm getting hot that's for sure.

It might be an idea before you start riding to first wet your hair and then put on the skullcap and also wet that water. I see riders do this all the time in the summer. Once the water starts evaporating this really cools down your head. Once your head cools you will not overheat that quickly.

I also see people putting ice cubes in their drinking bottles so the water they drink is really cooled. Once you get dehydrated you will start to overheat real quick and start sweating extra. Dehydration is a real pain in the butt so drink, drink and drink some more. In the summer I see riders stopping at diners just to pickup extra bottles with cooled water. Cool water seems to work the best, not those special sport drinks with all that sugar and caffeine and other stuff in them. Just cool water to keep you from dehydrating and overheating.
Some riders even use cooled sponges they press against the back of their neck for extra cooling. Hope this helps.
No offense, Jerome...but I've been at this a long time and I know how to cool my water and other general biking tasks. The issues I have is specific and the solutions for a better product were clearly laid out. If you like wearing hats when you ride, good on ya, mate. I don't. It's too hot and wetting the cap will surely cause it to drip sooner. No amount of wetting my head or hat is going to stop me from sweating profusely so it's hard to imagine we're speaking of the same type of riding.

This is a product development request that Oakley can do with what they will. I know what I want from my glasses and someone is going to build it (100% is getting very close), but I was hoping it would be Oakley. Goggles for all types of sports use foam surrounds and elastic bands. It's a matter of time before a smaller version is introduced for cycling and the Jawbreaker already has the ideal shape, frame and lens. Please help, Oakley...so I don't have to talk about these hats anymore!

No offense, Jerome...but I've been at this a long time and I know how to cool my water and other general biking tasks. The issues I have is specific and the solutions for a better product were clearly laid out. If you like wearing hats when you ride, good on ya, mate. I don't. It's too hot and wetting the cap will surely cause it to drip sooner. No amount of wetting my head or hat is going to stop me from sweating profusely so it's hard to imagine we're speaking of the same type of riding.

This is a product development request that Oakley can do with what they will. I know what I want from my glasses and someone is going to build it (100% is getting very close), but I was hoping it would be Oakley. Goggles for all types of sports use foam surrounds and elastic bands. It's a matter of time before a smaller version is introduced for cycling and the Jawbreaker already has the ideal shape, frame and lens. Please help, Oakley...so I don't have to talk about these hats anymore!

No offense taken, let it know if you have found a solution for this issue. I’m following this topic so I will get an alert for this.
I’m curious if Oakley will provide this solution for you.

I’ve been using the Jawbreaker for cycling without issue. Love the extra lens coverage. I haven’t had any issues with sweat either...usually just rolls right off to the side for me. I did notice it sliding, but after adjusting the stem length, didn’t seem to have any issues.

Definitely best pair to use for cycling. Not the biggest fan of them for running.

I've already spent $300 on their "optimum" cycling glasses so I'd like to buy accessories that help them function for the sport they're designed for. As for the sweat issue, vents don't do much for hard sweating when riding in hot and humid weather. The foam may get gross, but I'd keep buying replacements if they were available. The Wind Jacket 2.0 is pretty close, but they don't offer any lens options for what I want. Prizm Trail is amazing.

You spent $300 on jawbreakers?
Wow

Like others have said, scull caps are ideal. Perhaps you just need to find the proper material because there’s caps out there that don’t retain any heat.
Stop wearing beanies!

Back