• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Limitations on new lenses/older frames

Medusa50

I own Oakley
East Coast
What limitation is there on cutting a new distance prescription for an older Oakley RX frame? Does anyone know if all the older frame shapes are still able to be copied?

I'm not sure what you're concerned about, but it sounds like you're describing what I did today.
I purchased some Oakley Barrelhouse on eBay and had ZEISS lenses made for them at a local optician store.
No issues at all so far.
I also have myopia, -4.75 on both eyes. They chose a 1.67 index for me, but there's an even higher one to make the lenses slightly thinner in case your prescription is higher.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're concerned about, but it sounds like you're describing what I did today.
I purchased some Oakley Barrelhouse on eBay and had ZEISS lenses made for them at a local optician store.
No issues at all so far.
I also have myopia, -4.75 on both eyes. They chose a 1.67 index for me, but there's an even higher one to make the lenses slightly thinner in case your prescription is higher.
I dont like the newer frames. I want to make sure if I do buy older frames I can get lenses made.

Actually the Oakley optician said no which is why I am looking for alternatives.
Find an independant optician and ask them. My shop can do more or less any frame that takes a 6 base curve or less lens. However I always want to look at the frame before saying yes/no, plastic frames in particular can become brittle over time. Unless a frame has a truly out there shape they can usually be traced for lens cutting quite easily.

What limitation is there on cutting a new distance prescription for an older Oakley RX frame? Does anyone know if all the older frame shapes are still able to be copied?
50, I have the same concerns, which is the restriction in filling my prescription due to a "prism" requirement. The prism, added by my optometrist to control the tendency for one eye to over power the other, restricts my choice of frames to those which do not "wrap." Kaiser, my provider is very reluctant to fill any frame resembling a wrap. But The Lens Factory will mostly try to fill any frame I send them. They met their match when I sent them an Oakley Straight Jacket; they send it back, saying that a straight lens fitted to the frame with that much curve will cause the stems to bow outward, or, break the lens. So, I'm waiting on a used, Oakley Fate, which is less curvy. My question in general, is if anyone else has the same problem, and what frames were you able to fill, that had a wrap.

Back