• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Looking to purchase XXs or Romeos. Rough price? Buyers Guide?

jaymike

Oakley Beginner
Back in '16 I lost what at the time I thought were my beloved Juliets. I'd purchased them new back in the early 00s but only after a few conversations here did I learn they were not Juliets but XXs. Since '16 I've gone through several pairs of sunglasses from various brands including Oakley but I've never found a real replacement for the XXs. With summer fast approaching I've decided it's worth the money to me to invest back into a pair of X-Metals.

So my first question is size related. The reason I'd chose the XXs were my fat head and the reveal that a decade later which made me realize they weren't Juliets were I tried on a f riend's par which didn't fit correctly. How much larger are Romeos than Juliets? I know price on the Romeos is likely to be higher but they also seem more readily available. Same question for the X-Squared though I'm not a HUGE fan of those. The Juliets are indeed way to small, even now that I've lost some weight. I'd almost say the squared are off since for such a big purchase I'd rather not dive into something I can't put on my head. The only reason I bring up the Romeos is I've seen a few pics which seemed like they were bigger than Juliets.

Over the past few weeks I've seen a few frame only, completely disassembled with no lens, hardware, etc, just frame. Are those worth even looking at? Even though I fully plan on sending whatever I buy to xmancustoms, I'm still curious if I should just ignore and move on.

I know this is a pretty open ended question but I'd appreciate any tips you all would yield. I hesitate to put an actual number on my budget because it really just depends on the condition. Of course I'd rather not pay for a concourse/show piece but I do not want to overpay for a rough example. Thanks and I look forward to buying hopefully my last pair (at least until the day arrives for prescription sunglasses).

Size wise. Here's a pic. R1 on top of my XX

20190410_011658.jpg

Romeo is bigger overall as a frame and fits very differently from what you may be used to with an XX.

As for price. You can find an x-metal finish XX in OK condition for around $350+ sometimes. Average price probably $400. Ti02 slightly more. Plasma even more. R1 you are looking at ~$500+ for a decent condition X metal finish. Ti finish slightly more. Plasma, significantly more. Now, that's my ranges for a frame only (no box if you are completionist). Sometimes you can find something for a real bargain, sometimes you are paying market prices. It all depends on how patient you are.

As for your question about the "in pieces" frames. I assume you mean the ones that always float around eBay. Don't know much about those other than the seller is from Venezuela if i recall correctly, and I tend to stay away from the South American countries that have been known for their knock off pieces. You roll the dice on whether its a legit frame with sales like that, and if you win the bid, know that you are looking at getting everything to put it together again. So if you think about cost to put it together: get lenses and/or get them cut, rubber parts, you are looking at over $200 in parts and labor alone to get that set put together. If you won the bid for $200 or preferably less, might be worth it, if the frame is legit. And I'm just skeptical why this guy has so many frames that are in pieces all the time.

Either way, if you are patient you can find a good deal on something that's ready and usable.

Thanks Beau! That's what I was thinking about the "in pieces" frames. I just wanted to make sure. And thanks a TON for the pic. I'll have to research more into the finishes but I'm fairly certain mine weren't anything special. I think I paid ~$400 new which would be '01-'03 money. They were a matte type finish, almost like a smooth cerakote and the entire frame was the color of your nose piece on your XXs.

Patience will be key, I'll just have to remember to check back here while monitoring ebay!

Thanks Beau! That's what I was thinking about the "in pieces" frames. I just wanted to make sure. And thanks a TON for the pic. I'll have to research more into the finishes but I'm fairly certain mine weren't anything special. I think I paid ~$400 new which would be '01-'03 money. They were a matte type finish, almost like a smooth cerakote and the entire frame was the color of your nose piece on your XXs.

Patience will be key, I'll just have to remember to check back here while monitoring ebay!

That would be x-metal finish. The most common finish for an XX

I don't know much more than what I hear Beau going on about all the time concerning R1, but you mentioned having a larger head.... Putting on an R1 without cracking the lenses requires a specific method and might be more trouble than you're looking for. Just a little tidbit I thought might be relevant to your deliberations.

I don't know much more than what I hear Beau going on about all the time concerning R1, but you mentioned having a larger head.... Putting on an R1 without cracking the lenses requires a specific method and might be more trouble than you're looking for. Just a little tidbit I thought might be relevant to your deliberations.
Now we know the stress crack problem exists, there are several preventative measures to be used.

As you say, putting on like a pair of goggles or, if you have custom cut lenses, removing an extra bit of material to relieve the stressed area.
I have never experienced a stress crack in any custom cut lens....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Now we know the stress crack problem exists, there are several preventative measures to be used.

As you say, putting on like a pair of goggles or, if you have custom cut lenses, removing an extra bit of material to relieve the stressed area.
I have never experienced a stress crack in any custom cut lens....

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Very true. I baby the crap out of my OEM gold in my Ti. Have had no issues from my custom cuts from @Chris A Hardaway in the other 3. Goggle method is the only way I put them on.

Back