• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Magswitch - How to take care

Teixas

Oakley Beginner
Whats up guys?

I have a almost new Oakley Magswitch and I want to know how to take care of it?

I've seen that Its really easy to damage

I am just using in days that arent really hot because of sweat, is It really required? lol

Any tips, do or dont ?

Thanks

It is better to use them in not heavy hot days and/or clean the frame before storage, with water is better, to wash away the sweat.
This is what I understood reading around and the frame I had proved this was correct...

It is better to use them in not heavy hot days and/or clean the frame before storage, with water is better, to wash away the sweat.
This is what I understood reading around and the frame I had proved this was correct...

Cool thanks man!

I will start washing everytime I use it

Thanks for the mention, @Wicked.

@Teixas,
Mag Switches are made from magnesium (alloy) obviously. Magnesium itself, reacts violently to water, which is why no other manufacturer ever tried making sunglasses from such a reactive material. But of course, Oakley used to not be “any other manufacturer”.

I wouldn’t recommend using any water on them. Or if you do, very very minimally. I’d just dry wipe them, or perhaps use an alcohol wipe if you’re a particularly greasy person (I haven’t tried that and I don’t know how the surface finish would cope).

Prevention is better than cure. If you’re serious about looking after your mag switches, either never wear them (yeah, right!!!) or only wear them on dry cool days where you will not be sweating.

P.S. they will still corrode from atmospheric moisture.

All the best!!

For more info, check here... Cacatman's Mag Switch Page

I do not know if the issue is really water. A lot of light wheels for cars and motorbikes are in magnesium with no issue with respect to water... I always supposed that the main issue was the acid in sweat...

I do not know if the issue is really water. A lot of light wheels for cars and motorbikes are in magnesium with no issue with respect to water... I always supposed that the main issue was the acid in sweat...

The acid in sweat or maybe salt?

Probably you are right, salt, but both of them can be aggressive with magnesium... I thought more than fresh water...
:)

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Damn Its more serious than I tought

Thanks for the tips guys

I will search for a used one to use more often

Is it better to store in the bag or put in a box or something?

Any chance of the lens crack down or the rubber melt ?
I am asking this because this happened to my Oakley Scalpel that was stored in the bag

Back