• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New flack jacket lens more reflective?

Onebigbandgeek

Oakley Beginner
Hello,

I have flak jacket XLR with black polarized lens. Just bought new ones from Oakley and they are more reflective. Sunlight bounces off windshields and metal way more than the old ones.

It also seems like there's a sheen that wasn't on my old polarized lens. Anyone else notice this? Is this normal?

Thanks!

Are you talking about the iridium coating on the front of the lens that makes them more 'mirror' like? And was your old one just "Polarized" in the bottom edge as opposed to "Prizm P"? (since there is a standard black polarized lens, and then the newer Prizm Black Polarized which has more of an iridium coating).

But when you talk about windshield and metals, are you talking about the glare not being reduced then?

Both lens were standard polarized. (says polarized in bottom). These are the exact same lens model as I had before.

Yes, glare, I think. When I'm driving, it's really noticeable bright spots and bright sunlight that bounces off windshields or metal at the right angle.

I was walking at the park and a curved ray of sunlight seemed to be coming through the lens too. I swapped lens and it didn't happen with my old ones. Sorry if I am not describing it right.

Sounds like the polarization effect is weaker in the new pair if all else is the same. If your old lens on the Flak Jacket is from 2007-2010 ish range (right at the time Luxottica purchased Oakley, but also when the original Flak Jacket came out), then it's possible, just by speculation that there was a shift in manufacturer for their standard lens. Far as I'm aware the Prizm ones are still made in-house with Oakley (as opposed to one of Lux's other companies).

But it's also possible that if your own frame is a Flak Jacket XL, but your new frame isn't a flack jacket, then the shape/curvature of the new lens could have a play in how the polarization is affected, especially if back glare off the inside of the glasses is increased.

And your last part about a curved ray of sunlight isn't a polarization issue, that sounds much more like backglare/reflection, if it goes away when you cover the side opening of your glasses, then it's back glare. It's why my Flak 2.0 XL appear clearer than my Holbrook XL when I have sun from the side, because there's more horizontal coverage/curvature in the Flak 2.0.

Thank you! My frames are flak jacket xlj and so are the lens.

I'll investigate the back glare and do some more testing when it's sunny outside and will report back!

Thank you! My frames are flak jacket xlj and so are the lens.

I'll investigate the back glare and do some more testing when it's sunny outside and will report back!
Sounds good, I recall over on reddit someone had the exact same question/"problem" with their Holbrook, I guess they were expecting their Prizm Black to be completely glare free on both ends, but far as the Prizm lens goes, they don't use an anti-reflective coating like some other brands do (probably helps keep it crisp), I suspect the same could be true of their standard polycarbonate lens.

Some opticians can actually add an antireflective coating to the back provided there are no scratches or oils.

Latest Posts

Back