• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New to Oakley need some advice before buying first pair?

Andrew 55

Oakley Beginner
Hi guys I'm new to Oakley and I have some questions before buying my first glasses. I want them for daily city use and sometimes going to the beach/pool and hiking.

1. Polished Black or Matte Black frame? (I know this depends on each person's taste but I like both so some info on how they look irl will be helpful and also which one olds better).

2. Polarized or Non-Polarized? / Standard or Prizm lenses? (From what I've seen you can have all sorts of variations with these 4 types and I'm not sure what the differences are and which one would be the best also I would like the crystal to be black so that people can't see my eyes. Or what other color do you recommend).

That's pretty much it, btw I picked the HOLBROOK style. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Hi guys I'm new to Oakley and I have some questions before buying my first glasses. I want them for daily city use and sometimes going to the beach/pool and hiking.

1. Polished Black or Matte Black frame? (I know this depends on each person's taste but I like both so some info on how they look irl will be helpful and also which one olds better).

2. Polarized or Non-Polarized? / Standard or Prizm lenses? (From what I've seen you can have all sorts of variations with these 4 types and I'm not sure what the differences are and which one would be the best also I would like the crystal to be black so that people can't see my eyes. Or what other color do you recommend).

That's pretty much it, btw I picked the HOLBROOK style. Thanks in advance for all the help.
Stay away from anything made after 2007. Lux sucks!

There are no better brands.

Current Oakley is just fine and Holbrooks are great. Prizm lenses are incredible, just go with what looks best to you.
I've seen so many good things about the prizm but I have to ask are they mirrored because from what I've read that finish is for the iridium that I can only see it on the regular and regular polarized

"1. Polished Black or Matte Black frame? (I know this depends on each person's taste but I like both so some info on how they look irl will be helpful and also which one olds better).

2. Polarized or Non-Polarized? / Standard or Prizm lenses? (From what I've seen you can have all sorts of variations with these 4 types and I'm not sure what the differences are and which one would be the best also I would like the crystal to be black so that people can't see my eyes. Or what other color do you recommend)."

If your using your glasses, go with matte black. Polished gets all kinds of scuffs and scratches pretty quick. Unless you don't care about that.

As far as lenses. Polarization is a personal choice, some people hate some dont. If you want a completely mirrored lens, Id go with deep water or chrome. Standard Black Iridium used to be pretty good if you can find it, but I find Prizm Black to not be as mirrored as non Prizm.

I've seen so many good things about the prizm but I have to ask are they mirrored because from what I've read that finish is for the iridium that I can only see it on the regular and regular polarized
They are plenty mirrored. Prizm lenses have iridium on them as well. Not all, but the bright light ones do.

Get Jade, Sapphire, Ruby, Black, Tungsten, etc... all good

Welcome.

I prioritize frame color and then pick between matte and glossy. I usually stick with matte because I like anti-glare and it's a little easier to keep clean.

I personally don't wear non-polarized lenses unless I need to look at a computer screen or other object where polarization would create problems.
I agree with the others here that many Prizm lenses look outstanding.
--Jade: green mirrored finish, neutral/slightly rose tint. This is my all-around favorite.
--24K: gold mirrored finish, bronze tint. Also another all-around favorite. A little darker than Jade.
--Daily Polarized: no mirrored finish, rose tint. Might be my favorite lens to look through. It lets about the same amount of light through as Jade.

Charles

Back