• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

New to the Oakley family

Sandmangator

Oakley Beginner
Good Evening,
I just joined the forum so I can get some great info on Oakley sunglasses for golf.
Born (1946) and raised in the South. ( Jacksonville Florida ) I have been a college football fan since 1963.

Thank you in advance for the help with my shades. I have recently had surgery for lung cancer. They took a small piece off lung.
I am recovering now. In about 7 weeks I can start trying to play golf again. Living in Florida I need to get a RX pair. Will the prizm lenses distort my vision? and how do you like the Holbrook frames?

Thanks again!! I need sleep

David (sandmangator)

Welcome to the forum!
Okay, so a few things to unpack here...
If you're looking to continue to play golf, Oakley offers both Prizm Gold and Prizm Dark Golf lenses.
The Holbrook (and family; Holbrook (regular), Holbrook XS, Holbrook XL, Holbrook Metal, Holbrook Mix) is a great everyday pair, and can be used for Golf if you decide to.
As far as I know, Prizm Golf (NOT Prizm Dark Golf) can be Rx-able. The silver lining, is that you can have the Prizm Golf Rx installed in any of the Holbrook family line.
My recommendation is to go to your local Oakley store, or optometrist that carry Oakleys, and to try on which Holbrook will fit your face the best.
However, I would recommend other pairs that have more sport specific applications, such as the Flak 2.0. Removing and installing other lenses is by far easier than it would on the Holbrook. With that said, you can have the option of having one frame, but multiple lenses for certain activities, (golf, everyday, day at the beach etc...)
Once you have decided on which frames you like, choose what lenses are good too. Again, if you decide to use them for golf, Prizm Gold or even Prizm field lens would be good options.
Having a polarized lens would be recommended being that you're in Florida, however polarized lenses for golf isn't needed. After that, once you have both your frames and lenses, bring it to your optometrist (that is also an authorized Oakley Rx dealer) and ask for them to be installed. To be 100% sure, ask them if the lenses will have the etched "O" watermark at the bottom left lens. Also, I believe you may have to have an eye-exam done inside of a year.
Hope this helps, and best of luck on a speedy recovery!

Welcome to the forum!
Okay, so a few things to unpack here...
If you're looking to continue to play golf, Oakley offers both Prizm Gold and Prizm Dark Golf lenses.
The Holbrook (and family; Holbrook (regular), Holbrook XS, Holbrook XL, Holbrook Metal, Holbrook Mix) is a great everyday pair, and can be used for Golf if you decide to.
As far as I know, Prizm Golf (NOT Prizm Dark Golf) can be Rx-able. The silver lining, is that you can have the Prizm Golf Rx installed in any of the Holbrook family line.
My recommendation is to go to your local Oakley store, or optometrist that carry Oakleys, and to try on which Holbrook will fit your face the best.
However, I would recommend other pairs that have more sport specific applications, such as the Flak 2.0. Removing and installing other lenses is by far easier than it would on the Holbrook. With that said, you can have the option of having one frame, but multiple lenses for certain activities, (golf, everyday, day at the beach etc...)
Once you have decided on which frames you like, choose what lenses are good too. Again, if you decide to use them for golf, Prizm Gold or even Prizm field lens would be good options.
Having a polarized lens would be recommended being that you're in Florida, however polarized lenses for golf isn't needed. After that, once you have both your frames and lenses, bring it to your optometrist (that is also an authorized Oakley Rx dealer) and ask for them to be installed. To be 100% sure, ask them if the lenses will have the etched "O" watermark at the bottom left lens. Also, I believe you may have to have an eye-exam done inside of a year.
Hope this helps, and best of luck on a speedy recovery!
This is great info.!!!! ... I have a writtern RX given to me by my va optical office, so I will plan on taking this with to Oakley store near me. It will be a few weeks before I can drive..... I'll be researching and reading this forum.

Thank you again

You can also get Prizm Dark Golf in RX through an Oakley store or lenscrafters. Dark Golf is better for sunny days (like we have here in Southern California) regular prizm Golf is better for more overcast climates

Latest Posts

Back