• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
20210122_145232.jpg

View attachment 829412
View attachment 829413
Ya the filters are pretty cheap just finish my 8 hr shift and u can see the bottom of it is splitting. Gonna cut up an old Under Armour mask and put in instead. I will post more pics when i get around to the mod. Also this is the “reusable” one, can’t see it lasting 25 washes as instructions say.
Big question, any fogging on your lens?

Just got mine in today.

For reference. I’m a physician, and I’m very familiar with protective equipment. At work I wear a 3M full face respirator with P100 filters (much better than N95).

I’ve had lots of cloth masks at the start of the pandemic. I’ve bought many filter masks since then.

The Oakley mask is very similar to the one by Honeywell, and the one by OR (outdoor research), in that it uses a mask frame of sorts to hold a thin filter on your face made of a synthetic papery substance (likely melt blown polyester or something of the sort)

The problem with all masks as far as providing any kind of actual protection against viruses is the seal. For actual protection you need an N95 or above mask that’s actually fitted properly so it provides an airtight seal, otherwise air is just going to go around the edges of the mask and bypass the filter.

I just don’t see masks of this design providing anything close to a decent seal. The filter isn’t sealed to the mask in any way, and you’re just hoping it’s pressing it to your face well enough to make the paper seal in some way.

So it’s about a useful as a cloth type mask for protecting those around you by catching your spit/snot/droplets. But it isn’t adequate to protect the wearer any more than a surgical mask would, regardless of what rating they give the filter element itself.

I’m gonna play with it and see if it can hold an N95 cup on my face, or maybe my breath99 mask cup.

I hate ear loop masks so I usually use a behind the head strap attached to the ear loops to hold them.
Thank you for sharing your expertise and welcome to Oakley Forum Doc!

I purchased a 48 pack of Bondir KN95 adhesive filter liners (Costco has em on sale for $23) and they fit without any modification, plus the adhesive attachment points help keep the filter from moving. The filter itself has four layers and looks thicker than the original reusable one so hopefully this will be a good replacement option.

Since I have a bunch of PM2.5 filters that I use for other masks, I put one in front of the KN95 for additional filtering. It doesn't seem to affect my breathing, but is adding another filter overkill? Also, the manufacturer recommends replacing the filter after four hours of use. Is this how long a long a KN95 filter normally lasts?

Latest Posts

Back