• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!
That coupon was the push I needed to order it , thanks

I think it should be easy to fit a kn95 ....it’s not like it is made of x metal 🤣

I've spent the last hour trying to like the mask and I'm finding it hard. I dont understand why the straps gotta be so wide. My ears are flat to my head so wearing it makes my ears pop out and my Eyeshades dont fit with the mask. They set on top and dont even hold tight. I'd have to use wrap around earpieces to make they work. My sutro glasses seem to work fine. I did find like other the disposable filter seems to fit better and not rip. Still cant get a comfortable place for the nose though. Still getting fogging if I breathe heavy. I guess I just got too fugd up of a head to wear this properly. Anyone else have weird fittings around nose?

I've spent the last hour trying to like the mask and I'm finding it hard. I dont understand why the straps gotta be so wide. My ears are flat to my head so wearing it makes my ears pop out and my Eyeshades dont fit with the mask. They set on top and dont even hold tight. I'd have to use wrap around earpieces to make they work. My sutro glasses seem to work fine. I did find like other the disposable filter seems to fit better and not rip. Still cant get a comfortable place for the nose though. Still getting fogging if I breathe heavy. I guess I just got too fugd up of a head to wear this properly. Anyone else have weird fittings around nose?
It is possible to loose the straps and then change the direction to go horizontal instead of vertical ?

That way you secure the mask to your head and neck and not your ears

Fit my own custom cloth insert in there for now. Gonna work on a custom 3 layer velcro fabric inserts this weekend that will be more suitable for everyday use.

16111949367421727674285311525739.jpg

Just got mine in today.

For reference. I’m a physician, and I’m very familiar with protective equipment. At work I wear a 3M full face respirator with P100 filters (much better than N95).

I’ve had lots of cloth masks at the start of the pandemic. I’ve bought many filter masks since then.

The Oakley mask is very similar to the one by Honeywell, and the one by OR (outdoor research), in that it uses a mask frame of sorts to hold a thin filter on your face made of a synthetic papery substance (likely melt blown polyester or something of the sort)

The problem with all masks as far as providing any kind of actual protection against viruses is the seal. For actual protection you need an N95 or above mask that’s actually fitted properly so it provides an airtight seal, otherwise air is just going to go around the edges of the mask and bypass the filter.

I just don’t see masks of this design providing anything close to a decent seal. The filter isn’t sealed to the mask in any way, and you’re just hoping it’s pressing it to your face well enough to make the paper seal in some way.

So it’s about a useful as a cloth type mask for protecting those around you by catching your spit/snot/droplets. But it isn’t adequate to protect the wearer any more than a surgical mask would, regardless of what rating they give the filter element itself.

I’m gonna play with it and see if it can hold an N95 cup on my face, or maybe my breath99 mask cup.

I hate ear loop masks so I usually use a behind the head strap attached to the ear loops to hold them.

This is not an respirator mask in any way, it's more like surgical mask or something between these two.
Most of the chit ppl buy like cloth mask with or without an insert is just FFP 1-2-3 or not FFP at all, certainly not N95-99

This is not an respirator mask in any way, it's more like surgical mask or something between these two.
Most of the chit ppl buy like cloth mask with or without an insert is just FFP 1-2-3 or not FFP at all, certainly not N95-99

Exactly. It’s a decent cloth mask replacement I guess. Nothing more nothing less. Probably one of the best looking ones I’ve seen though, I have to give it that.

I just received my mask today. I can see how a lot of people are disappointed, especially at the price we're paying for this thing. You'd expect a $70CAD mask would offer "medical grade" protection.

Having said that, if you know that what you're buying is a glorified fabric mask, then I think you'll be happy. Ive gone the whole pandemic with a Bauer fabric mask. I'm sure it doesn't filter out much, as it's just a double lining of athletic material. So getting this one, the gasket fit is actually quite nice, seals pretty well, and is comfortable. My sunnies still do fog up, but not to the extent my fabric one does.

As for the filter themselves, it's too bad Oakley didn't include a few of each. Seeing as the disposable one will last a day or two, the cost is going to sky rocket. Right now, im using the reusable one, and I shoved a PM2.5 insert filter between the mask and reusable. My goal is to help prolong the life of the filters.

One thing I didn't expect, is that the front mesh is TOTLLALY see through. I thought there's be like a sheer layer of fabric, maybe even being sandwiched by the mesh. Nope, if the filter is not in, you can definitely see your mouth through the mask. I also with the straps were a bit thinner or narrower in width. Maybe if they make a MSK4 they'll make some drastic improvements.

If I had paid something like $40CAD, then sure, this is a nice option, about average for a "cool/nice" looking one. But at $70CAD I can see why a lot of people are disappointed.

This is also something that will be somewhat special many years down the road. 10 years from now, I can see these becoming a valuable collectors item. JMO

Hey guys,

Mine also just came in the mail, tbh I'm pretty happy with the mask overall! my head is on the smaller side though so maybe that's why I'm having a different experience. That being said, there's rubber around the entire perimeter of the mask and once tightened down it creates a really nice seal, WITHOUT fogging my glasses. Just that feature alone I would buy this mask again. for reference I've bought a ton of masks such as:

- OrbitGear Mask
- DSPTCH Facecover (the original bandana style and the moisture wicking)
- Adidas/Reebok
- Mackage
- Cloth masks
- RZ Mask
- Guerilla Group
- Herschel

For a while the Herschel and the DSPTCH moisture wicking mask were the ones I used daily, but eventually my glasses would fog up to some degree. That being said, one thing I hated on the OrbitGear mask was the wide straps (like the Oakley), but for some reason the Oakley ones aren't as uncomfortable. I can also see why people are complaining about the filters, tbh they both look similar and are equivalent to an organic coffee filter (the brown ones), another thing I'm not really a fan of is that the mask maintains it's shape so I can see it being cumbersome to store in ones pocket over time the rubber might start bending and rip. All in all, I personally like the mask I'll have to test it more at work and see how it lasts on a 12-hour shift, but so far, no foggy glasses is the dealbreaker for me! Oh and this mask is also very different from the other masks I've owned as it utilizes rubber and mesh.

TL;DR

Pros:
- NO FOGGING GLASSES.

- Rubber around the mask creates a nice seal around my face (smaller face) when tightened down without it being uncomfortable.

- Straps for me aren't uncomfortable for me, but I can see why some people don't like them (the orbitgear one is pretty bad)

Cons:
- Filters feel pretty thin and flimsy, comparable to the brown coffee filters

- Pretty firm (especially in the nose area) compared to most cloth/mesh masks making hard to fit in your pocket (you can take that as a pro since it's pretty rigid and holds it's shape)

- Over time constantly folding it might cause the rubber to tear or the mask to become misshapened.

Hope this helps some of you decide whether it's worth it or not! I'm probably going to make a youtube review this weekend to go a bit more in depth, if I do I'll leave a link!

86DFC47C-98FA-4084-A508-95CD4FF4D8A2.JPG

84BD53BF-91D8-460F-831B-4E1BE76A56FD.JPG

Back