• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley prescription lens quality vs other premium lens how do they compare ?

Finally settled on some frames and put my order in today. I snagged some descent deals I wound up going with Oakley Airdrop MNP OX8121-0153 Satin Black $95 for the clean glasses and the Ray-Ban DADDY-O II $85 for the sunglasses.
For the lens I got 2 pair of the Varilux X Series 1.67 lens with Crizal Sapphire 360. The clear pair with Transitions GEN 8 and the sunglasses polarized $550 out the door.
I have to say ordering new glasses putting it all together figuring out the best way to go was not an easy took some serious research brain strain

Now I'm thinking theirs one thing I may of messed up and didn't really do my research on as good as i should of Wondering maybe I needed to be more specific on was which brand polarized lens and tint I order ?
The eye guy just recommended going polarized with grey tint I didn't know any better so I just agreed
I don't know zip about the latest sun-glass lens technology's is there something I'm missing here I should be leaning towards like Xperio UV polarized ?

Finally settled on some frames and put my order in today. I snagged some descent deals I wound up going with Oakley Airdrop MNP OX8121-0153 Satin Black $95 for the clean glasses and the Ray-Ban DADDY-O II $85 for the sunglasses.
For the lens I got 2 pair of the Varilux X Series 1.67 lens with Crizal Sapphire 360. The clear pair with Transitions GEN 8 and the sunglasses polarized $550 out the door.
I have to say ordering new glasses putting it all together figuring out the best way to go was not an easy took some serious research brain strain

Now I'm thinking theirs one thing I may of messed up and didn't really do my research on as good as i should of Wondering maybe I needed to be more specific on was which brand polarized lens and tint I order ?
The eye guy just recommended going polarized with grey tint I didn't know any better so I just agreed
I don't know zip about the latest sun-glass lens technology's is there something I'm missing here I should be leaning towards like Xperio UV polarized ?
You ordered varilux x series. Don't over think it... Varilux is owned by Essilor. Makers of xperio. Your Optician may not even realize it but you are getting Xperio! Awesome right. Xperio UV however is powered by Crizal. So it had a backside A/R and UV coating to block reflections. The only colors they'd offer are brown, grey, or green at best. Maybe only brown and grey...

I wouldn't over think it. You did good w that pricing too. I'd say 40-50% off retail easy

Ok good what I think what your saying is when you order Varilux lens and you ask for polarized you automatically get Xperio coz that's there version of polarization am i right ?

As far as the Optician knowing they charged me an extra $50 for the Polaroid option
They do come in a large variety over 20 different colors below link
Wondering if you think theirs some really better cool color i should considering or just stick with grey ?

Xperio UV Polarized Prescription Sunglasses | Essilor USA

Last edited:
You are correct, varilux will always be experio. XperioUV also comes with backside anti glare as I mentioned. Like crizal again. So it would have been another $100.

So those colors don't come in X Series. Those come in Varilux Physio, or Varilux Comfort at best. Plus you agreed to place an order in gray. Lenses are custom made and therefore can't generally be changed after being ordered. Not without costing your Optician money... It's just not great etiquette to change an order after being placed by more than a few minutes.

Anyway, pretty sure X Series isn't available in more than the 2-3 colors. I'm aware of the information you provided. Plus they won't even have samples of those colors to try. Essilor is to Stoopid to give us business owners and opticians samples!

Yeah no need to change anything. All said and done I'm thinking I was lucky to snag a pretty dame good deal :)
My last pair of glasses came out of Vision Works and they were real junk

Back