• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Prescription Lenses

riderj96

Oakley Beginner
I was looking to get a pair of Oakley Radars (or Radar Locks) but I need to get prescription lenses(Contacts have never really worked for me). I've seen a few pictures of them, and I haven't liked how much the prescription inserts change the look of the glasses. The three lenses I am looking at are the positive red iridium, clear, and the jade iridium lenses. Does anyone have any photos of what these lenses look like with the prescription inserts in them? Any other lenses with prescription inserts? Thanks in advance for your help!

I personally do not have photos of how they look.

And Welcome to the forum! Hopefully another here can help you out with those prescription photos.

I do not have a photo. If you go to any Lenscrafters (you don't have to buy there) they should all have an example of what a shield lens (m frame or radar) looks like.

I've seen the Radars with inserts (I know a couple of guys in the league who have them) and at many angles you can still detect the inserts through the lens - even the Iridium lenses. If you don't care about looks, it shouldn't matter...but the fact you even asked the question kinda implies that looks do, in fact, matter to you.

IMO, though... Radars, M-Frames, etc. are better suited for athletes that can wear contacts. Since you said you have problems with contacts, it makes much more sense (to me, anyway) to go with a frame which will allow you to simply use tinted lenses made to your prescription. IMO, a great candidate would be the Flak Jacket XLJ. I used to wear Radars while playing but switched to Flak Jackets this year and don't really notice any difference. I wear contacts, though, so I never had the problem you're having now. But Flak Jackets look sharp and you can get prescription lenses for them. I'd imagine it beats having to screw around with inserts...just seems more practical to me to just get prescription tinted lenses and be done with it. Not to mention the fact that with inserts, the light has to pass through four planes (as opposed to only two with normal lenses), which does affect clarity somewhat.

Just my $0.02

Back