• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakley Twenty FMJ Repair - Which adhesive?

SirReal

Oakley Beginner
I have a cherished pair of Oakley Twenty FMJ 5.56 sunglasses, and one arm has snapped just behind the silicon grip. It's a near-perfect lateral break, but the surface is only 4-5mm across. I'd like to repair the break, with the strongest/best adhesive possible. Does anyone have experience with O-Matter repair on this level?

To clarify, I've spent a day-and-a-half poring over documentation and articles on the subject. From what I can gather, O-Matter is a proprietary nylon blend. I've looked at everything that could be used to bond nylon (polyamide) thermoplastic, from:

Cyanoacrylate (super glue): various reports saying it might or might not work. Tends to be brittle, and might fracture under stress.

Hot glue: Saw this recommended several times as the "best solution" for Nylon, but called a manufacturer who said he wouldn't advise it for this small surface area.

Two-part epoxy: some recommend Araldite, others say it doesn't work; also looking at JB Weld - can't decide between their Plastic Weld or Plastic Bonder), and

Solvent-based plastic weld (e.g. EMA Plastic Weld, but manufacturer also didn't recommend it for this task).

The repair doesn't have to be pretty, as it will be hidden by the silicon sock. I just want it to bond "forever". Any help would be much appreciated!

IMG_1064.JPG

Last edited:
If this were me..
Having little experience repairing them..
I would use a set of carb screw drivers to drill two holes on each piece just large enough for a some sort of wire or plastic dowel with a small amount of JB weld, then make some gouges in the surface areas with a razor knife and apply some JB weld there too. The cuts/gouges will help it hold onto the o-matter.

Make sure you take off the ear sock first.

There may be a better way though, I had a pair of m frames that kept cracking at the arms, even tried plastic welding them together but it eventually would break again. But it was too small of an area to try supporting it with dowels..

Or start searching for another pair

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I have made this repair, in the exact location. (M Frame).
I would use a set of carb screw drivers to drill two holes on each piece just large enough for a some sort of wire or plastic dowel ...
I used one hole in each piece centered exactly for alignment.
A drop of Gorilla Glue, allowed to set fully, a slow Dremel sanding off of the excess glue, replace the sock and the repair has lasted a couple of years now
in the hands of my Grandson, who doesn't baby them...

I have made this repair, in the exact location. (M Frame).

I used one hole in each piece centered exactly for alignment.
A drop of Gorilla Glue, allowed to set fully, a slow Dremel sanding off of the excess glue, replace the sock and the repair has lasted a couple of years now
in the hands of my Grandson, who doesn't baby them...

Questions:

1) What did you use to drill?

2) How did you align the holes precisely?

3) What did you use for a dowel?

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Or you could(once you've met the requirements,) try asking the forum via wtb and see whether anyone has a spare right earstem.

Forum Rules | Oakley Forum

Exchange Guidelines | Oakley Forum

I actually have an older pair, that these replaced. These were brand new, out-of-box, only worn a few months. Managed to find them on eBay.de, which was a miracle, hence why I'm so unhappy about this breakage. My old ones are fairly worn, and I'm afraid the difference in the ear stem would be noticeable. I will consider your advice, though.

Last edited:
I've tried to repair eye jackets with similar breaks but alway failed due to the small surface area. I think you'll be very lucky to succeed but good luck and let us know if successful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Temporary fix. Especially if you wear them regularly. Too much flex in that spot. You can try, but keep your eyes on the exchange for a pair.

I do not have experience repairing glasses but i do have 20 years of experience building and converting plastic miniatures ! (used to work for Games Workshop)

What I read here is very close to the perfect solution in my opinion.... use a tiny dot of paint or ink on one side of the break, put the two parts against each other so the dot is in the same place on both sides .... drill the holes in the same place ... use a metal pin or some metal wire (can go as small as paperclip size if the frame is thin, and glue it in the holes as you glue the frame back together (make sure the hole is slightly wider than the pin do glue will fit around the pin) ... this gives a much larger surface to glue and even if the plastic breaks, the pin will still hold the plastic together ... if you use a pin that is thicker and stronger than paperclips then it will also provide more strength to the frame in that spot and it ill bend less so it will no longer break in that spot since it's now stronger than the rest of the frame.

This technique used to be applied all the time to metal miniatures because no glue would hold certain parts together because the area to glue was too small and the weight of the part too heavy. (Imagine having to glue a tiny arm on a 2 inch model but the arm is also holding a huge hammer or shield and weighs more than most of my Oakleys do ).

Latest Posts

Back