• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Oakleys for hiking

Bronzie99

Oakley Beginner
I'm looking to get a pair of Oakleys for hiking. Most of the time, I'll be under the canopy of trees. The main issue for me is which frame to choose. I prefer large, unobstructed views and am considering:

1) Field Jacket
2) Flight Jacket
3) Radar Lock
4) Jawbreaker (maybe)

The Jacket line has the Advancer which is helpful but not something that I see as critical. Do you have any thoughts about how these models would work , or not work, while hiking or suggestions otherwise?

I'll be buying a second lens so I have a black, Prizm Polarized and then another one more specific to hiking such as the "Field" or "Outfield" lens.

Radars (all the different types are good) are imho the best sport frame. Prizm Field would be a good lens to compliment the black.

I recommend a Radar EV. It's still a relatively current frame, and that's going to make things alot more convenient for you. If you look at older frames, you will have to look harder for aftermarket frames and lenses, because they aren't available on the .com anymore.. A Radar EV will have the most variety of lenses and frames easily available. And they should be available directly from Oakley for at least another few years.

I suggest a Radar EV and... Why not get Prizm Trail, since they were designed specifically for hiking? They are light tinted and very contrasty which is great for shady conditions.
Field and Outfield were designed for baseball, not hiking, so they may be too dark for heavy canopy low light hiking.

Oh and if you get a Radar EV with all the lens selections available you can buy a whole array of lenses for different uses for your one frame. Like sports, or water or skiing, driving, bright sun, etc.

I'm looking to get a pair of Oakleys for hiking. Most of the time, I'll be under the canopy of trees. The main issue for me is which frame to choose. I prefer large, unobstructed views and am considering:

1) Field Jacket
2) Flight Jacket
3) Radar Lock
4) Jawbreaker (maybe)

The Jacket line has the Advancer which is helpful but not something that I see as critical. Do you have any thoughts about how these models would work , or not work, while hiking or suggestions otherwise?

I'll be buying a second lens so I have a black, Prizm Polarized and then another one more specific to hiking such as the "Field" or "Outfield" lens.
yea i would recommend getting trail or trail torch if trail is too intense for you or if its too bright its designed for it like @DKO said would work great for trail makes the brown pop out lets you see sticks and rocks and slipepry surfaces better trail/outfield makes you track the ball better in the sky

I recommend a Radar EV. It's still a relatively current frame, and that's going to make things alot more convenient for you. If you look at older frames, you will have to look harder for aftermarket frames and lenses, because they aren't available on the .com anymore.. A Radar EV will have the most variety of lenses and frames easily available. And they should be available directly from Oakley for at least another few years.

I suggest a Radar EV and... Why not get Prizm Trail, since they were designed specifically for hiking? They are light tinted and very contrasty which is great for shady conditions.
Field and Outfield were designed for baseball, not hiking, so they may be too dark for heavy canopy low light hiking.

Oh and if you get a Radar EV with all the lens selections available you can buy a whole array of lenses for different uses for your one frame. Like sports, or water or skiing, driving, bright sun, etc. auto clicker
Thanks for suggestion buddy i will try it.

Old thread but...Oakley hiking dilemma is still relatable. It's great that you're considering frames like Field Jacket, Flight Jacket, Radar Lock, and Jawbreaker for unobstructed views. Adding a second lens for specific hiking conditions is a smart move.

Back