• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Prizm lens for bicycle touring - ROAD vs TRAIL

thanx....i have watched those vids alot....guess i will just order the road jade in sutro lite....and after that maybe the prizm black in sutro lite.lol.....

Both lenses are wonderful. I'd suggest starting with one lens, in a frame that lets you swap lenses easily and buy an extra set of the other lenses now or later.

Sutro has interchangeable lenses, but it's not made to swap lenses "daily" (neither is Flight Jacket by the way) . Plus, you might want something with rubber earsocks, that will grip your head well wen riding. Both of these are quote large as well, and might interfere with your helmet.

Imho, frames like Racing Jacket (pricey, agressive, allways comes with a second, dark lens) https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO9171?variant=888392564450, Flak 2.0 XL (more affordable, more everyday design) https://www.oakley.com/en-us/product/W0OO9188?variant=888392104991 or (2-lens custom only) Radarlock https://www.oakley.com/en-us/custom-product/0OO9181CP have easy lens swapping and rubber earsocks. And, being smaller, they are more aero and will fit beter under most helmets.

If I'm correct, all three come with a hard case with slots for spare lenses.

Tip: You can still find classic Prizm trail lenses for all three! They're terrific, I prefer these over the newer Prizm trail Torch by a LOT.🙂
but lens are almost as much as the whole frame if you buy aftermarket and look for good prices.

Thanks for your recommendations, guys! I guess I've been looking for those lenses for ages!! Btw, I'd also like to ask you to help me choose the best shoes for riding.

Thanks for your recommendations, guys! I guess I've been looking for those lenses for ages!! Btw, I'd also like to ask you to help me choose the best shoes for riding.
That's probably better answered by your local bike shop

i would choose the prizm road if i had to pick between that and the trail. can you go to a store that carries oakley's and try them on to see what you like? maybe try some different prizm colors also.

ABB5546F-A92A-4D1E-BDF1-EB203E735981_1_102_o.jpeg

Most people recommend buying rapha pro team powerweave shoes, but they are too expensive for me. I'd appreciate your recommendations on a nice, less expensive pair of riding shoes. Btw, I'd also like to know what you think about cycling insurance. I've already found a service near me that can help me take out insurance (here it is sundaysinsurance.co.uk ). So, I'd like to know if it's crucial to have it. I'll be waiting for your replies.

1. check you homeowner/renters insurance 1st I don't think the average rider needs special insurance in the USA I know there are more/different/laws about insurance in other global locations.

2. Cycling shoes, just like sunglasses there is only one choice Sidi... I have Sidi shoes that are 20/25 years old that I still use... Save you $ until you can get afford them, get some insoles and find your size in a local shop and then get them online at merlin cycles. If you take care of them they will be the only shoe you will ever buy every other brand will fail over time. While Rapha makes some good "stuff" take the time and you can find better quality stuff... Assos, Q365, Defeet, Castelli, Black Sheep just to name a few... most clothing cycling companies really are just in business because they made one great product and the rest on one great thing and then expand to other products that are mostly copies of the best... Rapha one great thing was modern wool jerseys however since then new materials have passed them by.

Good luck and good cycling!!!

go to all your local bike shops and ask about group rides. you can meet other cyclists and asks all your questions. there will be people of all different skill levels so you'll find riding partners and make new cycling friends. usually big group rides are separated into groups of varying skills. its better to be in a local ride group than trying to navigate this new hobby by yourself and through forums.

Back