• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Pros And Cons To Radarlocks?

i dont own any radars, so i can't attribute any cons. but i would say the pros are...
good lens coverage
fast and easy lens change
comfortable to wear

Pro and con vs. what? A Flak/Half Jacket? A Radar? An M Frame?

Pro-
Faster lens swap than Radar
Wider peripheral coverage than jackets in every direction
More of a "wrap" fit compared to a jacket frame to hug your head better
Much more flexible than jackets

Con-
High initial investment, high cost of replacement lenses
Less available options in terms of frame color, aftermarket lenses
No Range size; not as many lens size choices as Radar, far fewer than M
More orbital flex and less stem flex than M Frames.

I own Radarlocks and used to own Radars.

I would say that changing lenses in the Radarlock is still a pain and can be done just as quick in the old Radars. Fit is just as good as the old Radar - I can't feel the difference. Lense choices will probably increase after summer (according to Oakley UK customer service) so for me that is not an issue if you can wait a month or two.

So it all comes down to design if you ask me. Do you like the organic rounded design of the old Radar or the even more tech looking Radarlock. I did not like them at first but I always take some months ot adopt the new designs and then suddenly I cannot live without them. Well fashion is hard to judge and i like both....but I like to wear the newest versions just because I am a sucker for new gear so currently I have chosen the Radarlock to supplement my Jawbones (which should of course be converted to New Racing Jacket according to my "newest version" philosophy).

pros: much faster and easier to swap lenses (per oakley).

cons: too expensive.

if you're not gonna be changing lenses often, just go with the old radars.

I have the Path locks in black iridium + persimmon and the G30 + grey ones (non-polarized both) and absolutely love them. You get two lenses (and a better case), so it's quite good value for money too, especially if you compare them with the price of custom Radars (since the stock Radars do not come in that many colors any more). Actually I was about to invest in some custom regular Radars when the locks hit the market and did not see any reason to go with the older model. Contrary to other opinions, I think that it's a bit easier to replace the lens. The difference is not dramatic, but you feel that there is less tension/force applied. Yes, you still have to twist the nosepiece back a bit, but what many people seem to ignore is that the nosepiece itself is a bit slimmer than on the regular Radars! Saying that it's "a pain" to change lenses is just not true.
Even two weeks ago I was routinely told by customer service that replacement lenses for the locks would not hit the market before the end of summer, so I'm pleasantly surprised that they are already available (though it seems that only the tints that come in the glasses too; still, you can buy 1-2 extra lenses that you may need besides the two stock ones).
I cannot think of any cons, really. At least, not for cycling, which is where I use them.

Latest Posts

Back