• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Question about Cutting Polarized lenses

Oakley lenses don't have any yoked prism or vertical prism that I can measure. So moving a lens up or down won't affect the optics... If they were RX lenses with "power" that would be a major issue! That's why I won't recut Rx lenses. They do have base-in prism but without power (sphere diopters) that 0.25 base in prism measures pretty steady even side to side. This means that they do have horizontal prism. I know you didn't ask this but the Polarized filter isn't affected at all moving it, only rotation is bad. I hope that helps too.

Great info Chris, we (i) learning something everyday :)

If they were RX moving one up/down more than the other gives double vision. If they are both moved down in RX to save an etching say, they'll give yoked prism, which means the ground will slant! Without any power "Plano" lenses won't have these issues. @jdd32 would you agree?
Yup, plano lenses can be shifted up and down laterally without distortions. RX lenses however are a complete different ball game as you've mentioned

I bought a Juliet frame that came with a free set of Deep Water Polarized lenses that had been cut improperly. The seller disclosed there was an issue with the lenses and I bought it for the frame only. The lenses were cut improperly at the wrong angles and the polarization oriention was off. The lenses looked good on display but I could not wear them at all. It instantly threw my vision off and it was very uncomfortable on the eyes.

Do your eyes a favor and get your Polarized lenses cut by a professional.

Trust the guys using proper optics equipment and w/ proper training to cut lenses. If you're cutting lenses in your garage with a dremel you're doing it wrong =)

@scienergy @jdd32 @Chris A Hardaway are the ones I know best.

No way!!

I have only seen ****e and been ripped off by 'experts' and thats in all trades from painting to engineering to - any 'expert' to be honest.

If yu want a job doing propelry - do it yourself.

PS - never had any dealings with OXM so cant comment on his work but from life experience - expert usually means - useless

I understand that one must maintain the correct "orientation" when cutting polarized lenses to size.

Can someone (like @Chris A Hardaway, @jdd32 or @kronin323) please explain why it's a problem if the Donor lens is NOT cut at the correct "angle" as the donor lens.

If BOTH left and right lenses are cut at the exact same angle, would it not just reduce the polarisation of the finished lenses equally?

And when you do explain it, can you speak in "layman's" terms. It's been over 30 years since I last went over "waves" from physics!!!!!

P.S. Sorry about the very clumsy question. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to ask.

I'm late to the party but the info is correct...

When Oakley cuts polar lenses, they cut both lenses from a single blank to ensure the orientation of each lens is as perfectly matched to the other as possible. Even slight variances can increase visual artifacts and be uncomfortable. My personal experience with polar lenses that weren't cut correctly was unpleasant.

The good news is us end-users can objectively test this very easily. Do the test where you hold them (installed in frames) up to a LCD screen and rotate them counterclockwise. They should both darken identically as the angle is changed, to test if they're both at the same orientation.

To test if they're at the correct orientation (filtering light reflected from below) you need another pair with OEM polar lenses to compare to, both the OEM and the cuts should darken at the same angle (different LCD screens might darken at different angles so the known good OEM orientation is needed as a baseline).

I'm late to the party but the info is correct...

When Oakley cuts polar lenses, they cut both lenses from a single blank to ensure the orientation of each lens is as perfectly matched to the other as possible. Even slight variances can increase visual artifacts and be uncomfortable. My personal experience with polar lenses that weren't cut correctly was unpleasant.

The good news is us end-users can objectively test this very easily. Do the test where you hold them (installed in frames) up to a LCD screen and rotate them counterclockwise. They should both darken identically as the angle is changed, to test if they're both at the same orientation.

To test if they're at the correct orientation (filtering light reflected from below) you need another pair with OEM polar lenses to compare to, both the OEM and the cuts should darken at the same angle (different LCD screens might darken at different angles so the known good OEM orientation is needed as a baseline).

If I'm not mistaken, Oakley cuts ALL of their lenses from a single blank. That's why I've always replaced lenses in pairs and not just one.

Here you can see what @kronin323 is talking about. I got these to test etching on from either @neill @IAMOBS or @X-Metal Beast, I can't remember who, they all send me a lot of stuff lol. They were cut with the polarization off.

90514A08-56D3-4ADD-8F93-96D730A80368.jpeg
4DA442C2-8E6A-449D-96C1-5E499AFA592B.jpeg
6B3BD8A3-E567-44AC-B7B4-742466338593.jpeg

If I'm not mistaken, Oakley cuts ALL of their lenses from a single blank. That's why I've always replaced lenses in pairs and not just one.

Here you can see what @kronin323 is talking about. I got these to test etching on from either @neill @IAMOBS or @X-Metal Beast, I can't remember who, they all send me a lot of stuff lol. They were cut with the polarization off.

If those are the DWP Juliets with orientation cut improperly, then those are the ones I was referring to and the ones I sent you to get them out of my life!!!

If those are the DWP Juliets with orientation cut improperly, then those are the ones I was referring to and the ones I sent you to get them out of my life!!!
Yep must be, I've never seen DWP. I kind of like the color, too bad it's polarized. YUK!

Normally on my computer it's around a -45° axis both lenses go dark. On my digital camera (older) Polarized lenses go "dark" around 90° even.

@kronin323 I believe mentioned the orientation won't be the same in every device, but should be the same in both lenses!

One last note, has anyone else noticed this only seems to work with the light traveling one direction, if you flip them over I typically get all types of weird "rainbow" or interference effects. @SiRacer420

Latest Posts

Back