• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Revant lenses vs. Oakley lenses?

Most of the comparisons wont be done with the elite line. They are $55 for a set and general logic would tell you to just spend a few extra bucks and get OEM....unless of course they are cometely unavailable and cant be cut by chris hardaway. Thats a rare exception, that's all I'm saying.

Ive tried enhanced for a pair of work shades once and I got some sweat and oil on them and they peeled within 5 days. I have a pair of gold iridium polarized mframes that I have worn at work for over 5 years straight and no peeling at all.

Agreed. The Enhanced lenses do not hold up although they appear to hold up better than the base lenses. Also way too thin. So no argument there. As for the Elite lenses, yes, they are expensive (actually $59 for a polarized lens) but still significantly less so than a pair of polarized OEM lenses ($100). And I probably won't be getting any custom cut lenses anytime soon. I would expect that solution to be even more costly than original OEM. Although I have to admit that I am sorely tempted to look into a custom cut set of PRIZM daily lenses for my Fast Jackets. And how would one custom cut a Heater lens when there is no lens as large in the current Oakley lineup? Maybe I don't know how custom cuts work, but I am assuming that you need an original OEM lens that is larger than the end product to start with?

I have two big complaints with Revant lenses:

1. They do not have an Elite shield lens in their lineup.
2. They don't offer non-polarized darker tints in their Elite lineup. Their darkest elite non-polarized lens is 30% VLT. I happen to be one of those cyclists that prefers my riding lenses to be non-polarized.

But yes, I hear your argument that when the non-OEM lens is that pricey why try it? I did because I had little choice (other than custom cut) and I, personally, have been happy with the result.

There is one other interesting bonus with the Revant lenses. This is specific to the Flak Jacket, but as you probably know the OEM Flak Jacket polarized lenses have slightly less depth than the non-polarized lenses. I find the polarized lenses fit to not work well for me when outdoors. They are fine in the car and I love my PRIZM Daily lenses for driving, but I prefer the cut/depth of the non-polarized FJ's. Interestingly, the Revant lenses all follow the cut of the regular, non-polarized, OEM lens and therefore fit me a little better than the equivalent Oakley.

I have to agree, I bought a revant xx metal midnight sun and by far is the best or their line I have tried black chrome, ice and other colors from them but midnight sun is a try on.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6 mediante Tapatalk

I am always amazed by the vitriol in these discussions
And I applaud your lack of it. It's always better to read a properly reasoned response. There is an unfortunately growing trend of dismissing such questions on the forum, or making an ill-judged joke.

You're correct in your assumption about custom lens cuts too - the source lens needs to be larger than the intended cut. Ideally it also has the same base curve. So a Heater cut probably is out of the question I'm afraid - a shame as some of the Prizm lenses in particular are impressive.

And I applaud your lack of it. It's always better to read a properly reasoned response. There is an unfortunately growing trend of dismissing such questions on the forum, or making an ill-judged joke.

You're correct in your assumption about custom lens cuts too - the source lens needs to be larger than the intended cut. Ideally it also has the same base curve. So a Heater cut probably is out of the question I'm afraid - a shame as some of the Prizm lenses in particular are impressive.

A snow goggle lens might be a possible donor, but afaik @Chris A Hardaway can't cut those in his machine.. The different goggles have slightly different curvatures, but it should be doable. MX goggle lenses are much cheaper, but I'm not sure they would be suitable.

I have to agree, I bought a revant xx metal midnight sun and by far is the best or their line I have tried black chrome, ice and other colors from them but midnight sun is a try on.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6 mediante Tapatalk

Do you have any pictures you are willing to share? I want to try and lens color since it's better than Oakley OEM. Just curious what it looks like in real life.

Back