• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

🦘Ruby Lenses 101

Instead, he's taking a new strategy to build on his library of reference threads. By framing the inquiry as a personal plea for help, he hopes to get better and broader responses than he'd get by merely saying "post what you know about Ruby here so future newbies can learn from it."

And it's a good tactic, playing on the forum's strengths. Altruistic trolling...

@kronin323 you have a VERY keen eye, my friend.

Last edited:
I have a sneaking suspicion that cacatman didn't create this thread out of purely personal curiosity. He's not a novice Oakley aficionado; surely he already knows about Ruby.

Instead, he's taking a new strategy to build on his library of reference threads. By framing the inquiry as a personal plea for help, he hopes to get better and broader responses than he'd get by merely saying "post what you know about Ruby here so future newbies can learn from it."

And it's a good tactic, playing on the forum's strengths. Altruistic trolling...
Although I'm genuinely chuffed that the mighty @kronin323 paid me the pretty solid compliment "not a novice Oakley aficionado", but I wish it were actually true. I’m totally crap at the lens colours and stuff because it's a little too much on the subjective side for my liking. I didn't even know that ruby was supposed to look blue from the inside!!!

But you are right in me wanting to draw out the best talent the forum has to offer (I can't get ANYTHING past you). I felt a bit guilty about just sponging off you all without doing any research at all, so I spent about 45 mins trolling for known threads and grouping the information together to kick it off. Each time I post, I'm secretly petrified that someone will hammer me with "use the %$^@ search button".

I knew that @Funky-Trixtar is a connoisseur of exquisite Rubys, and I did want to draw his voluminous knowledge about this magnificent lens out "from the shadows". Being a typical Pom, he prefers to be understated, so to name him specifically was my approach this time round. I'd also like to name and out @"TRUMP" to make a Monster Dog info page because he's got a ton of knowledge to be shared around, as well.

I haven't had time just yet to get around to read all of your truly fantastic Can the iridium coating affect the base tint appearance? thread. It's worth bumping.

I haven't had time just yet to get around to read all of your truly fantastic Can the iridium coating affect the base tint appearance? thread. It's worth bumping.
That is indeed a great thread.

There were two main competing theories in the forum but an enquiring mind (@kronin323’s) set out to prove it empirically one way or the other.

As you can tell from that thread, I was a firm adherent of the theory that turned out to be wrong. But Kronin has proven it do conclusively once and for all, there was nothing to do but accept it.

The scientific method in practice right there ladies and gentlemen, and a thread well worth your time if you haven’t read it before.

Fear not @cacatman, I'm not done yet.........
I’d be lying if I said I’m salivating at the thought of shortcutting years of experience in one foul swoop, so I can look knowledgeable, when the truth is, I just asked you and @kronin323 a question....having said that, no pressure!!! Ha ha ha.

Ruby
ruby-winza-tanzania-g.jpg

Collection AfricaGems
Cut Oval Facet
Size 3.06 carat
Locality Tanzania
Photograph AfricaGems

This Ruby is Red........................or is it. If you look by squinting your eyes(a common method to define colour and tone by artists), you should see the darker tones of the gem, more apparently. Using this method also you can see the blues in the red. Of course, taking into account this is an three dimensional object, thus light comes from specific angles, ending up with diffused, specular and ambient light. Also remembering it semi-transculent, thus light will 'bounce around a bit', before finally emerging to the eye. This is a Gem quality stone, shown, so impurities are at a minimum. Ergo, this, in the eyes of a Jeweller, is as close to a perfect Ruby that you could wish for.
Getting back to the subject, a true Ruby lens, should never consist of yellow or orange, within the centre or the mid lens, possibly on the periphery(the very edges of the lens.

I started collecting Ruby lens pieces back in 2004, when I got my Pennys(these being the XM serial pair). This spurned on my love, passion, and desire for this most prized of colours in the Oakley lens spectrum. For some, it re-ignites their attraction to the X-Men hero Cyclops's visor and blinkered sunglasses he wears, to prevent the rays from his eyes burning through all they cast their gaze on. Others, just love the deep, rich red (aided by blue.....) and it's almost mesmerising 'shimmer' of different elements of colour........one minute it appears to be red, then a purple....then a deeper red, a pink and so on....

Last edited:

It used to be a sticky. There used to be a number of good stickies in this subforum. But then one of the mods, I don't know who, went through and "cleaned" them up. When he did he apparently didn't understand the best purpose of making threads sticky, instead got it backwards. Sticky status isn't a popularity contest, it should be a way to prevent useful reference from fading away into obscurity due to lack of bumps, requiring veteran forum members with good memories (and hopefully still around) to dig them back up when the topic is revisited.

But all the stickies like that got un-stickied and instead a handful of threads were made sticky that get daily bumps on their own, have no reason to be sticky. I mean, why the heck is the WOAYWT thread a sticky? That thread gets a bump like every five minutes. The chances of it fading beyond halfway down page one are nil. It's like the last thread on the entire forum to need sticky status.

I remembered another way that you guys may have experienced your first glimpse of Ruby: through Eric Bana (Hoot) in Black Hawk Down. Causing controversy regarding the error of using these shades for authenticity, since the era was 1993: they weren't even dreamed of by JJ!
36070780653_fef77e942a_o.jpg
Oakley-Juliet-Eric-Bana-Black-Hawk-Down by funky-trixtar, on Flickr

The way I went about collecting my 'booty' of Rubies, was mostly through eBay, with the occasional purchase from a Forum member. I always made sure to 'drill' whomever the seller was, to ensure the colour was AS DESCRIBED. I only took a risk twice, which, as luck would have it, turned out to be the right decision: these being my Penny lenses and the Scuderia Ferrari lenses.

Things have changed considerably over the past decade and a half, as you can now buy Ruby Polarised. Something which was never available from Jim Jannards' Oakley, however, it's subjective as to the end colour and what is perceived as Ruby.

I'm very strict on what I consider to be a collectable Ruby. I refuse to have a set whose colour includes yellow, aka 'Fruby'. These appear to be drained of the reds and blues which make up the right tones. But instead, have orange/yellows: fine if you're after Fire.

edit: I do have one pair with a hint of yellow on the periphery, my Monster Pups, but since these were the best example I could find, I had to have them.

23565971691_9846044405_o.jpg
DSCF4683 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr

Something, which only came to my attention, these later years, were the earliest generation Fire. A brutal red with deep brown tones, a lovely colour also, one which I pine for. Which will never be achieved again by Oakley in it's present form.

39713363984_91083c545d_o.jpg
null_zpsa2ecf1ca by funky-trixtar, on Flickr
Thanks to @discostu for the use of the pic!

9093355763_00bffe0d8d_b.jpg
IMGP4715 by Oakley Gizmo, on Flickr

Photo courtesy of Oakley Gizmo.

Last edited:
To put simply, the difference between old Ruby and old Fire lenses are the tones of colour used. For Fire, mainly Red with a minor Brown base tint and for Ruby, mainly Red with a minor Blue base.

When looking to buy a Ruby pair, always, always insist on seeing them out in natural light. Because electric light(no matter how much daylight simulation they're claimed to be)can and will hide tones/distort the end perception. When they are taken, ask to have them free of as much surrounding matter as possible: have them photograph them on a white or grey neutral back ground, probably best with grey, there'll be less glare.
The shape of the frame can dictate the tone of Ruby which is seen also. The larger the size of the lens, the less likely the end colours will be like Ruby. Show me a good Ruby coloured Holbrook..........not going to happen.

Last edited:
My Booty

View attachment 438319DSCF4702 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr Oil Rig Night Camo / Ruby

View attachment 438320My XM003937 Pennys with X-Metal / Ruby Iridium by funky-trixtar, on Flickr XM Penny / Ruby

View attachment 438321My XX Twentys Polished Black / Ruby Iridium. by funky-trixtar, on Flickr Twenty XX Polished Black / Ruby

View attachment 438322DSCF4687 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr X-Squared XM / Ruby

View attachment 438323DSCF4686 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr A-Wire 2.0 Dark Carbon / Ruby

View attachment 438324DSCF4685 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr C-Wire Silver / Ruby

View attachment 438325My Blade ii Edition Matte Black / Ruby Iridium OTT's by funky-trixtar, on Flickr Blade ii Edition OTT Matte Black / Ruby

View attachment 438326My X-Metal / Ruby Juliet by funky-trixtar, on Flickr XM Juliet / Ruby

View attachment 438327DSCF4683 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr Monster Pup Matte Black / Ruby

View attachment 438328DSCF4627 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr Fate Polished Black / Ruby

View attachment 438329Funky-Trixtar_Oil-Rig_CRYSTAL by funky-trixtar, on Flickr Oil Rig Crystal / Ruby

View attachment 438330DSCF4551 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr Frogskins Jetty Surf Crystal Black / Ruby

View attachment 438331DSCF4533 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr Minute Polished Black / Ruby

View attachment 438332010 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr Frogskins Polished Black / Ruby

View attachment 438333Funky-Trixtar_Frogskin_Fire_Flora_Fades/Ruby by funky-trixtar, on Flickr Frogskins Fire Flora Fade / Ruby

View attachment 438334Funky-Trixtar_DSCF0259 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr Frogskins Polished White / Ruby

View attachment 438335Funky-Trixtar_DSCF0151 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr Monster Dog Winter Camo / Ruby

View attachment 438336Funky-Trixtar_DSCF0250 by funky-trixtar, on Flickr Fuel Cell English Country Flag Polished White / Ruby

sorry, but I don't think everything is here...........but almost.
Absoutly amazing collection of ruby!!!

Latest Posts

Back