• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Show Us Your Bike...

Here is my summer bike and winter bike

4FE78A03-6ABE-4648-8C8C-7D457504CC04.jpeg

8E535D0B-E85A-43B7-8914-704321101959.png

82B1403E-6851-4101-8336-2EC14690B18B.jpeg

Don’t you like fat tires?
Its crazy to me how expensive these road frames are. With very little tech change over the years. Way more (money) than these intricate MTB design with different linkages and what not.

Last edited:
Its crazy to me how expensive these road frames are. With very little tech change over the years. Way more (money) than these intricate MTB design with different linkages and what not.
Even then there has been very little improvement of designs in the last 15years .

was a nice day so got the Karpiel disco volante out for a service for the coming spring
Screenshot_2020-03-03-19-49-33_kindlephoto-351142328.png

With very little tech change over the years.
Respectful disagreement over here.
The tech that goes into the frameset alone (computational fluid dynamics, aerodynamic testing, nanotechnology etc.) is mind boggling , and can eat up a substantial portion of anybody's budget.
This is before you factor in carbon fiber tech in the wheels, spokes, bars, cranks, seat rails etc. that is constantly evolving.
Then we have electronic shifting and disc brake adaptation...
All of this with a miser's eye on each undesirable tenth-of-a-gram weight increase...
We are now blessed with sub 900gr. framesets that will safely handle my 180lb. downhill, cornering inertia at speeds approaching 70mph (Pros, not little ol' me), on 23mm skinny "rubber".
AND, it's all last years' tech (time and tech march on), do it all over again next year.
:neo:

I get this but its still a rigid frame, rigid fork. Whereas mtb market is having leaps and bounds progression with wheel size, carbon layup, linkage, suspension , weight etc. The amount that changes every year is astonishing. A bike from 3 years ago is basically obsolete!. But road bikes are still rigid, and carbon. Yet they cost twice as much as full suspension mtb frames on the high end. Even with shocks Costing close to $1000
Respectful disagreement over here.
The tech that goes into the frameset alone (computational fluid dynamics, aerodynamic testing, nanotechnology etc.) is mind boggling , and can eat up a substantial portion of anybody's budget.
This is before you factor in carbon fiber tech in the wheels, spokes, bars, cranks, seat rails etc. that is constantly evolving.
Then we have electronic shifting and disc brake adaptation...
All of this with a miser's eye on each undesirable tenth-of-a-gram weight increase...
We are now blessed with sub 900gr. framesets that will safely handle my 180lb. downhill, cornering inertia at speeds approaching 70mph (Pros, not little ol' me), on 23mm skinny "rubber".
AND, it's all last years' tech (time and tech march on), do it all over again next year.
:neo:

Latest Posts

Back