• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The amusing things I notice in merchandising

KarlBlessing

I should Work at Oakley
West Michigan
That moment when I see a listing and I immediately know it's a not-for-resell demo unit.

The hole there is for the T6 security screw that holds the "demonstration" USB-c cable on, which usually has a plastic cover glued over so the screws cannot be accessed once installed.

Add on that no accessories are included (they usually come with the security cable preattached and that's it), and course if someone gets it, the battery will only ever charge to 60% even if it was never put out on the sales floor. It's by design, like with the Samsung smartphone demos, the idea being the battery is more likely to survive longer constantly plugged in for months if it can never be topped off. Since many won't operate once the battery is shot even if plugged in.

Likewise Sony XB12 and XB13 demo units will have screw holes in the bottom of them (and the black xb12 will always be missing the port cover if it was a demo), fully functional just like the retail models once the demo mode been turned off with some button combos, even those "dummy" units they never have plugged in (kind of a waste of material, but guess it's cheaper for them to put a live unit out as a dummy rather than have a bunch of shells on a custom order). So noticed some sellers will claim they had them "mounted" in the office or such. It's not too uncommon for some store managers to take a old unit off the recycle pallet and pair it for their "office use" (yet if an underling does the same, even if never leaving the store with it, they will get in trouble).

Screenshot_20211020-224005_Chrome_1.jpg

That moment when I see a listing and I immediately know it's a not-for-resell demo unit.

The hole there is for the T6 security screw that holds the "demonstration" USB-c cable on, which usually has a plastic cover glued over so the screws cannot be accessed once installed.

Add on that no accessories are included (they usually come with the security cable preattached and that's it), and course if someone gets it, the battery will only ever charge to 60% even if it was never put out on the sales floor. It's by design, like with the Samsung smartphone demos, the idea being the battery is more likely to survive longer constantly plugged in for months if it can never be topped off. Since many won't operate once the battery is shot even if plugged in.

Likewise Sony XB12 and XB13 demo units will have screw holes in the bottom of them (and the black xb12 will always be missing the port cover if it was a demo), fully functional just like the retail models once the demo mode been turned off with some button combos, even those "dummy" units they never have plugged in (kind of a waste of material, but guess it's cheaper for them to put a live unit out as a dummy rather than have a bunch of shells on a custom order). So noticed some sellers will claim they had them "mounted" in the office or such. It's not too uncommon for some store managers to take a old unit off the recycle pallet and pair it for their "office use" (yet if an underling does the same, even if never leaving the store with it, they will get in trouble).

View attachment 910948
That’s nearly the price of a new pair, isn’t it?

Latest Posts

Back