• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The Video Games Thread

TN panels are pretty bad for colors. Input lag on that monitor is one of the lowest on the market for a 4k, but the colors and HDR effects are pretty trash. This video sums it up pretty well.

Yeah that doesn’t look good. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I would look at an LGuk650. They have some received good reviews in the gaming community. IPS screen I believe.

Yeah that doesn’t look good. Thanks for sharing. Maybe I would look at an LGuk650. They have some received good reviews in the gaming community. IPS screen I believe.

I love my IPS monitor. It's the one on the left. Asus VG278Q. It will output 4k but it's mainly a 1080p IPS 144hz 1ms response. The 144hz is stupid good btw. This is why most professional gamers still use 1080p screens with 1ms response. You do the thing, you see the thing. There is no input lag.

20200415_214804.jpg

My primary is a Dell UltraSharp 30” IPS 2k,
Secondary is an older (9+ years) Samsung 30” 2k
Third is a Samsung 65” TV with 4K HDR & Dolby HDR

The Dell is more a graphic artist monitor vs gaming monitor - that said it runs most everything at 60-80 FPS and dips into the 40’s in bad areas.
Samsung is not for gaming, rig temps and monitors mostly.
The 65” TV is lots of fun gaming.

@beau1890 is right on eith that input lag. That being said, if your not a super hardcore FPS mili-second shooter, or Sim racing use-case — you can get away with mid-grade input lag and will likely never notice.

On the flip side, a very high input lag can lead to nausea and disorientation. Some interesting stories when they were designing the first flight sim systems trying to figure out the perfect balance....

My primary is a Dell UltraSharp 30” IPS 2k,
Secondary is an older (9+ years) Samsung 30” 2k
Third is a Samsung 65” TV with 4K HDR & Dolby HDR

The Dell is more a graphic artist monitor vs gaming monitor - that said it runs most everything at 60-80 FPS and dips into the 40’s in bad areas.
Samsung is not for gaming, rig temps and monitors mostly.
The 65” TV is lots of fun gaming.

@beau1890 is right on eith that input lag. That being said, if your not a super hardcore FPS mili-second shooter, or Sim racing use-case — you can get away with mid-grade input lag and will likely never notice.

On the flip side, a very high input lag can lead to nausea and disorientation. Some interesting stories when they were designing the first flight sim systems trying to figure out the perfect balance....

Absolutely @TheDukeOfIce, the most important thing with a monitor is does it look right to you, and does it perform well for you. And is it in your budget. There are great monitors that cost as much as your PC or 3-4 of your consoles. Then there are monitors that are nearly as good at half the cost. Then there are cheap ones that lie about their specs and ask the prices of the better options.

And I also @Oak street misquoted my model I just realized. I have the VG279Q, which I specifically got over the 278Q because the 279 has an IPS instead of TN panel. Colors are amazing, and it is smooth on the graphics.

Latest Posts

Back