• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The Video Games Thread

Have you tried Elite Dangerous? It should scratch that itch :)

I wanted to play Elite Dangerous but I tried the Oculus and... it didn't make me feel nauseated, but it did give me a weird head ache/sense of disturbance... like we should not be strapping screens that close to our faces or messing with our brains like that...on that level...I am very concerned for kids who grow up on VR and how they will turn out...bad news I sincerely fear...

And really right now any VR game is sacrificing detail for the VR feature because computers are just not there yet, so is it as good as a 2d game could be, I'd say hell no.

plus I hate facebook and boycott anything they are connected to, and they own Oculus so. there's that too lol
But thank you for the suggestion! Right on

I wanted to play Elite Dangerous but I tried the Oculus and... it didn't make me feel nauseated, but it did give me a weird head ache/sense of disturbance... like we should not be strapping screens that close to our faces or messing with our brains like that...on that level...I am very concerned for kids who grow up on VR and how they will turn out...bad news I sincerely fear...

And really right now any VR game is sacrificing detail for the VR feature because computers are just not there yet, so is it as good as a 2d game could be, I'd say hell no.

plus I hate facebook and boycott anything they are connected to, and they own Oculus so. there's that too lol
I haven’t played it in VR, only “regular”.
I have a Nvidia 1080TI water cooled pushing 4K at 35-65FPS on my 30” monitor I play on.
Awesome graphics, it’s really sweet, and based in real life physics and stellar configurations - a really awesome Space Sim / Flyer (no VR needed)

you get over that discomfort somewhat quickly and get your "VR legs." you have to stop when you start to feel it or take brakes instead of pushing through. that way you don't associate that feeling with VR as a placebo type of deal. after a while you won't feel it anymore.

as for them being as good as 2d games. depends on your setup and the game. Oculus currently doesn't have the best resolution options for headsets. even the Quest 2 that isn't out yet has been shown in reviews to not have image quality that great compared to other headsets even though the screen resolution is high. that's due to it compressing images to be sent over the link cables and decompressing them on the headset to run it off PC graphics cards. i currently have a Samsung Odyssey which is on the higher end of resolutions offered in VR headsets currently in peoples hands. i've played Squadrons both on my monitor and on my VR set both. graphics quality it looks pretty similar. the cockpits actually look better in VR, but the "skybox" (distant stars or backdrops) look slightly worse. the graphics are getting there now it just depends on the games. Half Life Alyx for example looks amazing. i can't wait to see what it will look like on the HP Reverb G2 headset i have on pre order which is the next best thing coming out in VR as far as image quality and resolution is concerned.

i just don't always feel like pulling out the VR headset and having to wear it though. lol. it's definitely a different strokes for different folks. it's for sure less immersive to play racing games on a 2d screen now though.

Last edited:
I haven’t played it in VR, only “regular”.
I have a Nvidia 1080TI water cooled pushing 4K at 35-65FPS on my 30” monitor I play on.
Awesome graphics, it’s really sweet, and based in real life physics and stellar configurations - a really awesome Space Sim / Flyer (no VR needed)

Thank you I didn't realize it was also available 2d! Will definitely check it out!!

@Jontoad thank you too you are clearly experienced with VR stuff. It is a weird hangup between reality and wearing the headset that I just can't seem to get past right now. Someday I'll give it another try perhaps.

Latest Posts

Back