• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Vintage Section Poll!

What should the criteria be for a Vintage Section?

• Pre-1999

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Pre-2003

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • Discontinued 5 years

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • No Vintage Section

Votes: 12 25.0%

• Total voters
I dont see how it could be confusing, you are looking for something pre ___ so you go to that section... As of right now I have to surf through the general discussion to look for them. IM LAZY I WANT TO GO RIGHT TO WHAT I AM LOOKING FOR DAMN IT!!!! lol

Lol, I understand both sides pretty well. I'm not huge into vintage so I understand why so many people are indifferent about it. But I also am very lazy, so I understand your laziness in wanting a section :big grin:

I am going to leave the poll open through the weekend then we will see where we are...pretty close race.

I just don't see the point in having another section to sift through!? So now if I want to find say a 1st Gen. Juliet I would have to go through BOTH the X-Metal Exchange section AND the new Vintage Exchange section!?!? Because I know people will be posting stuff in both and I don't want to miss out on a potential bargain/pick-up! I would say that's more work (for the lazy people out there lol)

I just don't see the point in having another section to sift through!? So now if I want to find say a 1st Gen. Juliet I would have to go through BOTH the X-Metal Exchange section AND the new Vintage Exchange section!?!? Because I know people will be posting stuff in both and I don't want to miss out on a potential bargain/pick-up! I would say that's more work (for the lazy people out there lol)

I agree. Someone comes to the board with a pair of Frogs from the '90s, sees vintage (since I assume it will be in the sunglasses grouping and therefore above the Frogs areas) and starts making topics there. Or similarly they have a pair they know isn't a current release such as an Oil Drum or something, sees the description "Discontinued pairs released prior to 2003 that aren't frogskins or x-metals, consult the timeline to ensure your pair is old enough" and now they feel like they need to post a topic to figure out if they're looking at a "vintage" set or if they're merely a 2003 or later release.

I agree with the naysayers here. We don't need a vintage section.
If OakleyBoss is wanting to see the membership grow, then keeping things simple and undaunting should be key to that.

If I'm looking for discussion on a certain sunglass, I use the Search function. It's so easy.
(as Guns n Roses once said).

The fact that there is no agreement as to what "vintage" actually is, should speak volumes here.

I also agree that another section will cause more duplication.
Do each of us already check two separate exchange sections to look for X-Metals, for example? Answer, yes.
Let's keep it simple. And remember there's a search box.

Ok, since this race so close, I don't want to abruptly stop it without warning. Sooo, I will end this poll tonight, Monday March 19th at 11:55PM ET. Get those votes in :)

A little over an hour left and its a dead heat right now...make sure you vote...every vote counts!!

Just looking at everyones comments about how a new area could be confusing and at how close the race is...I am thinking of maybe instead of a whole area i.e Discussion/Purchases/Exchange, just starting with a Vintage Discussion, that way vintage matters will have a place to be discussed but shouldn't be that confusing. I mean I agree that another full area is going to be confusing and I am trying to keep the site simple so it is easy to navigate. I am trying to minimize overlap. As always opinions are appreciated.

I really don't see the need for a vintage section. I feel the falls under the general discussion section and it would overlap. I think it would cause the general section to loose some of its activity leading use to search another section to see the latest posts and such.