• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

VR50

saulsaul

I am Jim Jannard...
Tokyo
Finito had VR50 BI lenses. Some say 35% transmission, others 40%.

I just picked up a VR50 Gold custom pair at 35% transmission.

Can anyone confirm with certainty the difference in transmission and tint of these two iridium VR50s??

O-review says both are 35%. vr50 is a 50% transmission base so no matter what iridium coating you put on it, the resulting lens would only be a category 2 lens with darkness no lower than 30%. This means your eyes would be seen and you should only use these lenses for overcast days or night use

Thanks. Any idea what he difference between the two would be when looking through?

Both are contrast...

I don't have them but from what I remembered the black irid coating is neutral attenuation (imagine vr28 BI but about half as dark) whilst the gold irid coating has a more bronze attenuation (Imagine gold irid lenses but more rosey and brighter).

The vr50 base is an awesome contrast lens with high transmission suitable for rainy days or night skiing on well lit slopes where it cuts out the glare. This is now superceded by prizm lenses

I don't have them but from what I remembered the black irid coating is neutral attenuation (imagine vr28 BI but about half as dark) whilst the gold irid coating has a more bronze attenuation (Imagine gold irid lenses but more rosey and brighter).

The vr50 base is an awesome contrast lens with high transmission suitable for rainy days or night skiing on well lit slopes where it cuts out the glare. This is now superceded by prizm lenses

Thanks that's useful. I thought all VR28 lenses were contrast? Is VR28 BI neutral?

Am wearing the VR50 Gold in Juliets for the first time today in overcast weather and loving them! Amazing lenses. Perfect for a touch of warmth and cutting out all glare.

image.jpeg

Thanks that's useful. I thought all VR28 lenses were contrast? Is VR28 BI neutral?

They are all contrast lenses. BI coating is a grey filter before it hits the contrast base of vr50. Gold irid on the other hand attenuates certain colors before hitting contrast base vr50. Hence a gold irid vr50 has relatively more contrast compared to BI vr50. The latter is more like a darker version of plain non irid vr50

What would the closest Prizms be to the two VR50s?

Relatively speaking, gold irid vr50 is closer to prizm than black irid vr50. Bear in mind prizm is a strong rose based tint that offers unparalleled clarity

They are all contrast lenses. BI coating is a grey filter before it hits the contrast base of vr50. Gold irid on the other hand attenuates certain colors before hitting contrast base vr50. Hence a gold irid vr50 has relatively more contrast compared to BI vr50. The latter is more like a darker version of plain non irid vr50

Relatively speaking, gold irid vr50 is closer to prizm than black irid vr50. Bear in mind prizm is a strong rose based tint that offers unparalleled clarity

Again really helpful- thanks.

In comparing Prizms, I'm interested in which Prizm has the closest transmission rate to 30-35%.... But I'm being lazy now as this is probably covered elsewhere.

I love Prizms and use Road and Maritime. But is it true to say they are all rose based and none have the warmth of a brown/gold base?

Back