• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Water And Anti-fog Performance

Rearmount

Oakley Beginner
Hey guys, just got a pair of M Frame 3.0's in and noticed that on the care sheet, it states in all caps "DO NOT USE WATER TO CLEAN YOUR LENS AS IT WILL HAVE AN ADVERSE AFFECT ON THE ANTI-FOG PERFORMANCE".

Seeing how everything else on the care page is in lower case letters, this seems to be pretty darn important. Is the anti-fog treatment on the lens THAT sensitive to water? What happens if you're wearing eye pro in the rain? Do you magically lose the anti-fog treatment after that?

These frames were meant for duty/utility use, surely you're going to have guys who have no choice but to rinse off their lenses with water from time to time.

Interesting.. Lenses tend to fog up in wet or damp conditions mostly anyway?!

I reckon some water could carry particles that will have an abrasive effect.

I've got the same pair (M Frame 3.0) that I use as safety glasses at work 12+ hours a day, and cleaning them with water just has to be done sometimes. It does noticeably reduce the effectiveness of the anti-fog but reapplying it gets it back to working as intended. My circumstance is usually 1) Don't have time to put on gloves and re-apply the antifog to clean them right then but I need to be able to see and 2) Whatever I'm doing doesn't require the antifog at that moment so re-applying when I have a few minutes to spare isn't a big deal.

From my general use I'd say that in a steam filled environment I get around 2 weeks of fog free use per application if no water is used to clean them during that time, with performance slowly degrading until I re-apply. If I apply the antifog and then clean them with water the same day I usually find that the antifog performance is slightly better than the 2+ week application but degrades much quicker.

Bottom line- I doubt you are doing any long term damage, but you'll use a lot more antifog solution if you are regularly cleaning them with water.

Is the above true for all Oakley lenses?
I thought it was fine to clean lenses with mild soapy water if the oakley cleaning spray was not available.
Am I making them more prone to fogging?
What is the solution to "re-fogg" them?

I've got the same pair (M Frame 3.0) that I use as safety glasses at work 12+ hours a day, and cleaning them with water just has to be done sometimes. It does noticeably reduce the effectiveness of the anti-fog but reapplying it gets it back to working as intended. My circumstance is usually 1) Don't have time to put on gloves and re-apply the antifog to clean them right then but I need to be able to see and 2) Whatever I'm doing doesn't require the antifog at that moment so re-applying when I have a few minutes to spare isn't a big deal.

From my general use I'd say that in a steam filled environment I get around 2 weeks of fog free use per application if no water is used to clean them during that time, with performance slowly degrading until I re-apply. If I apply the antifog and then clean them with water the same day I usually find that the antifog performance is slightly better than the 2+ week application but degrades much quicker.

Bottom line- I doubt you are doing any long term damage, but you'll use a lot more antifog solution if you are regularly cleaning them with water.
What are you using to "reapply" the anti-fog? I only thought there was the nanoclear hydrophobic, or is that anti-fog as well?

I thought it was a coating on the lens. I have a 3.0 in which I thought I was picking off a stuck piece of crud and ended up flaking off part of an interior coating.

My long-use clear lens no longer feels as though it has the anti-fog, as the interior of the lens no longer has that "drag" feeling of a new anti-fog.

What are you using to "reapply" the anti-fog? I only thought there was the nanoclear hydrophobic, or is that anti-fog as well?

I thought it was a coating on the lens. I have a 3.0 in which I thought I was picking off a stuck piece of crud and ended up flaking off part of an interior coating.

My long-use clear lens no longer feels as though it has the anti-fog, as the interior of the lens no longer has that "drag" feeling of a new anti-fog.

My 3.0 array came with the frame, clear lens, grey lens, hard case, microbag, and a smaller bag/cloth combo with a small bottle of anti-fog liquid. I've never seen it anywhere else, and the paperwork with the glasses says very clearly NOT to use any type of hydro/nanoclear on the lenses. I have no idea how to go about getting more unless its available on the SI site somewhere but the bottle they included will easily last the life of these lenses and probably a dozen replacement lenses, it only takes 1 drop per side to completely recoat them. I've added pictures of the bag and bottle.

There is some kind of coating on the lens as well, because mine has already started to peel at the bottom where it touches my cheeks sometimes. So far it isn't flaking or chipping, but it has clearly started to erode from the bottom edge upward.

What is the solution to "re-fogg" them?
See attached pictures and above explanation.

Attachments

• 20140719_160017.jpg
    20140719_160017.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 828
  • 20140719_160031.jpg
    20140719_160031.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,159
Same, I never got that bottle. Just spent a day out in the field with the 3.0's and they're covered in sweat, dirt, and grime. I don't have any Oakley cleaning solution yet...but wouldn't at least rinsing it off with water then blotting dry be better than letting that crud "sit"? I'll see about calling Oakley later and picking up some of that unicorn anti-fog solution.

Latest Posts

Back